Deciding

I gulped loudly and arose from the bed. "Come on Zoe." I mumbled, grabbing her hand and leaving the room. By the time we stepped foot out the front door, Carl and the others were walking up the drive way. Carl smiled when he saw me, but when he noticed Matt, he darted over to the front porch along with Glenn and Michonne. "Who's this?" Carl spat, eyeing the boy up and down. "Matt." Zoey muttered, fumbling with the hem of her shirt. Carl looked over to Daryl, and they exchanged nods. They then walked off behind the back of the house.

Carl's POV:

"I don't think him staying here is such a good idea. We can't let another Lizzie incident happened." I sighed, running my fingers through my tousled hair. "If he hasn't hurt Zoey after a month then that's something good." I immediately shock back with, "Because Zoey was taking care of him! Think about it... If you were all helplessly alone in the woods, and someone was basically taking care of you, would you hurt that person?" I squinted my eyes at him even though his head was down. "We have a baby here now. We can't risk it..." I began to turn away when he stopped me. "Even... Even when me and Brooke had our weapons pointed at him, he didn't try and pull anything. He didn't even pull out a knife or anything like that. This kids had a rough past. I talked to him. His dad abused him, too." Daryl lowered his voice on the last part. My face softened a bit, and I sighed heavily. Before the apocalypse, Daryl and his brother were abused by their father so I can see why he has a connection with Matt. "Okay... He can stay. After I question him, and only if he answers them to my liking."

We walked back to where Zoey, Brooke, and Matt were, and they were all laughing like there was no tomorrow. I cleared my throat, and they all stopped. The only sound was my boots against the deck as I made my way over to him. "How many walkers have you killed?" I interrogated him, just like my dad used to do... "I-I don't know. A lot." Was his response. "How many people... have you killed." His eyes grew sad, and he put his head down. "My-my mom." He choked. "Why?" Was my final questioned. "Be-because I didn't want her to turn." I felt tears forming in my eyes. He had to shoot his mom too... For the same reason.

•••flashback•••

My mother was lying there, unconscious on the floor. Maggie had already cut her open and was looking for the baby. "Carl give me your hand." I shakily brought my hand up to hold my mom's stomach open so she could use both hands to look. I couldn't cope with what was happening. My mom was dying... "Okay. I'm gonna pull the baby out." Maggie said. Out came a baby, a girl. My eyes lit up, and I handed Maggie my jacket.

"We have to go." She said, beginning to get up. "We can't just leave her here! She'll turn..." New tears formed in my eyes, but I tried my hardest to blink them away. I had to be strong for my mom. "Carl-" She began, but I cut her off from finishing. "She's my mom." My voice cracked like crazy, and this time it wasn't because of puberty. I grabbed my gun out of my holster and turned towards her unconscious body. Maggie went to the door while I stayed back. I got down on my knees and hugged her on last time. I slowly stood up and aimed my gun to her head. I shut my eyes and took a deep breath. "Goodbye, mom." My finger pulled back and what had to be done, happened.

My mom was dead.

•••flashback over•••

"Carl?" I heard Brooke ask. "Hmm?" I looked up from staring into space. "What's your decision?" Zoey asked, lacing her fingers together in a begging form. "Someone has to be with him at all times. He's not allowed anywhere near the baby until I believe he's trustworthy. You're sharing a room with me, kid." His head shot up when I called him a kid, and he glared deeply into my eyes. "I'm not a kid! I've had to do unimaginable things! Horrible, horrible things! You've never had to shoot your own mother!" He shouted, attracting walkers over by the fence. I clenched my fist, tears threatening to spill from my eyes. Anger was boiling in my blood, and I didn't want Brooke to see the bad side of me. I turned away without a word and walked away.

Brooke's POV:

"You're one stupid son of a bitch." Daryl snapped at Matt. "He doesn't know what it's like-" Beth cut him off. "He killed both his parents! I'm pretty sure he knows what it feels like..." A dreaded silence grew, and I decided to go after Carl. There was one place I was sure he was.

The hill.

"Hi." I said sweetly, sitting beside him. He ignored my presence and continued fumbling with his mother's wedding ring. We sat there quietly, looking out at the breath taking view of the sunset.

"Days like this.
You look up at the sky above you.
Days like this.
Yeah, You think about the ones that love you," I paused, pulling him up with me. I grinned as I placed his hands on my hips and mine around his neck. We swayed back and forth as I proceeded to sing.

"And all I wanna do is live my life honestly.
I just wanna wake up and see your face next to me.
Every regret I have will go set free.
It will be good for me.

Days like this.
Yeah you think about the ones that went before you.
Days like this.
Have you ever seen the sky such a clear blue."

After the song had ended, we still didn't separate. I lied my head on his chest as we continued slow dancing to the sound of the wind. "It should be getting colder soon." He said after a while. "I guess you should go on a run then..." I looked down sadly, knowing that Carl had to leave again. "Yeah... But I want you to come with me. Just you." He smiled warmly at me as I jumped into his arms. He squeezed my small body tightly, twirling around. "Thank you... For cheering me up." He said shyly. "It was no big deal." I giggled. "That was my first slow dance." He gave me a nervous grin, adding in a small laugh. "Mine too." I admitted. "We should probably get back."

I began to walk away when he pulled me back. I turned around, startled when his lips came into contact with mine. I smiled widely into the kiss. Not just because I was enjoying it, but because of how lucky I was. To find love in the apocalypse. Carl Grimes is one of the main things on this earth keeping me sane, keeping me alive. I'm so grateful that God gave him to me in such a horrible time. When I first met Carl that day in the woods, I wanted to gut him like a fish, no kidding, but as I got to know him I found myself falling deeper and deeper in love with him. God, if anything happened to him... "Why are you smiling at me like that?" Carl giggled. "Nothing I just- I just love you!" His eyes lit up, and he pulled into another hug. "I love you, too. So much more than just to the moon and back. My love for you has no limits." He whispered into my ear.

We smiled brightly at one another as we began walking back to the house. Once we got to the front door, Matt was being untied. "Hey Carl," Carl turned around to face Matt, "I'm sorry... About your parents." He said sadly. "It's okay man. Yours too." Carl smiled slightly.