To the Moon and Back

Carl's POV:

Now a days the only thing keeping us alive, keeping us sane, is hope. But honestly, I'm not sure how much more of that is left. Ever since Mika died.. I just.. I've been thinking about the ones I've lost in the past year.

Judith
Julie
T-dog
Mika
Lizzie
Merle
Hershel
Mom...

I reached into my right pocket and felt around for her wedding ring. Once I felt the rough edges of the diamond I pulled it out. I glanced over at Brooke who was sleeping on the other side of the seat. I looked back down at the ring in my hands. It had one, single diamond in the middle with the words 'Grimes' engraved on the golden band. I'm going to give this to Brooke one day; the ring. It's what mom would want...

•••flashback to before he met brooke•••

"Lori don't push something's wrong!" Maggie yelled as my mother's blood coated her hands. "We have to get her to Hershel!" I panicked as more blood appeared. "We can't there's too many walkers out there!" Maggie shot back. She was right though. Previously, one of the prisoners we discovered from the prison cut the fences and the walkers got in. We all got separated, scattered all over the prison. Maggie led me and mom into the tombs, but along the way mom went into labor. I discovered a boiler room, and that's where we are held up now. "I know what has to happen. You have to cut me open." My mom breathed heavy, tears threatening to spill from her eyes. "I have no experience with c-sections! Carol learned it not me! I don't have the equipment!" Maggie protested. "Carl has a knife. Please Maggie! My baby can't die! My baby has to survive.. For all of us." Her breathing began to slow down, but I could tell she wasn't done yet.

"Carl baby I don't want you to be scared, okay? This is what I want. This is right. Now you take care of your daddy for me, alright? And your little brother or sister, you take care of them. You're gonna be fine, you are gonna beat this world, I know you will. You are smart, and you are strong, and you are so brave. And I love you. You gotta do what right, baby. You promise me you'll always do what's right. It's so easy to do the wrong thing in this world. So if it feels wrong don't do it. Alright? If it feels easy don't do it, don't let the world spoil you. You're so good. My sweet boy. The best thing I ever did. I love you." By now tears poured from our eyes as we clung to each other for dear life. "Here. I want you to have this. Find someone special to give it to." She pried the beautiful ring off of her bony finger and handed it to me. "I love you." I cried into her shoulder while she ran her fingers through my hair like she did when I was little. "Give Maggie the knife.." She choked. I fumbled with the knife in my pocket and shakily handed it to Maggie. She looked up at the ceiling and took a deep breath. "Goodnight, love."

•••flashback over•••

The vehicle came to a stop, and I quickly jammed the ring back into my pocket. Brooke's head shot up, and she looked around the vehicle. Her hair was all tousled and knotty, her eyes were red and droopy. She looked adorable even if she did just wake up. She gave me a fake smile and stretched. Fake smile? She's not telling me something. "Everything okay?" She flinched as I placed my hand on her shoulder. She nodded frantically and began to exit the suburban.

Brooke's POV:

Two days ago I started having a.. dream. The same 'dream' both times. I'm not even sure I can call them dreams anymore. The dream was about, well, I can't exactly explain it. It starts off with Daryl and I hunting in the woods, and then... It goes black. When the light comes back again there's a gun pointed in my face. A shot goes off and then... I wake up. I'm scared about this one. What if I die? Or Carl or Daryl or anyone! All I know is that I cannot go hunting with Daryl.