Day 3

Punk Hazard was completely on fire, but the flames were cold. Extremely cold.

You shivered, rubbing your arm in a dull attempt to warm yourself up a little. You were freezing, outside and inside.

«...then let's go somewhere else.» you heard your own voice talking, surprising you. It was like you were listening from a place far, far away. Your voice sounded so childish and fragile.

It was a night without moon or stars, the sea was reflecting the cold light of the flames. The long white jacket of the tall man in front of you reminded you of the snow. You were facing his back, and you knew he was not turning to you.

His voice was deep and warm, the opposite of yours.

«You want to come.»

It was no question.

«Of course I want! I-»

«No.»

Your eyes widened in shock.

«What do you mean? I'm your apprentice, I'm following you no matter what!»

«I can't teach you anymore. I'm sorry.»

«But I...»

«I need you to stay.»

You felt the tears, they were freezing in your eyes.

«Is that because I'm weak?»

No answer came.

You woke up slowly with someone moving in the room. It hurt you to see that ceiling, again. From a bad dream to a bad reality.

The pain on your side was dull and continuous, but not as intense as you remembered.

«Oh, you are awake.»

The little doctor was packing his things. There was no one else in the room. You looked at the bed you were in, searching for signs of Kid's passage, but finding none. Had he even come back yesterday night?

«Just in time, marine girl. We docked early this morning, I'm going down to purchase some drugs. Don't worry, the captain is going too.» he added, noticing your restlessness.

He dropped a plate filled with fruit, crackers, and two pills on the desk.

«Something to eat and painkillers.» he explained «Don't attempt suicide with them, they're not strong enough.»

You groaned in response.

«Some men are staying here, of course, so don't make yourself too loud, okay?»

You were slowly exploring the pain in your body, trying to figure out your mobility, clenching and relaxing the muscles of your limbs one by one. The situation felt better than yesterday, even after the battle. Good.

«So who's in charge?» you asked.

The doctor chuckled.

«Like I'd tell you!»

He then headed to the door, the bag almost as big as him.

«See ya. Or maybe not.»

The little man got out, and you heard the key turning in the lock.

You stayed quiet for about ten minutes, hoping that was enough to let most of the men down the ship, then you got up.

Once again, there was nothing in the room you could use to your advantage. No weapons, no hard thin tools to be used on the lock, no cracks on the wall to be wrenched. The porthole was showing a desert deck.