Day 13 [bonus]

A/N: there wasn't supposed to be any chapter up these days, but today I got a surprising peak of followers and I decided to write a little bonus as a thank you. <3

Keep in mind that is not a real chapter, is REALLY just a little bonus. Not even 1000 words, which for me is like, what.

Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy it.

*

You fell on the mattress with a relieved sigh, still wrapped in the bathrobe.

«Shit, I really hate saltwater!» Kid grumbled, using a towel to rub his soaked hair.

The ship was still rolling rather violently, but the waves were not as crazy as before now, and the storm was waning.

In the cabin, the light swung following the movement of the sea, accompanied by the creaks of little things moving around. Outside, the pirates were running all over the deck and yelling indications at each other. The rain was strong.

After almost tearing yourself apart on the mast, you were in pain and soaked in seawater to the bone.

Kid put you directly under the shower and well, joined himself.

Not good for your sore body maybe, but his touch made you wet in another way.

Now, though, you really had no energy left.

Already half asleep, you turned your head to watch Kid walking around the cabin, securing the stuff on the shelves.

He only bothered to put on his slacks, the towel was abandoned around his shoulders, and his blood-red hair had fallen on his forehead, still weighted by the water. The contrast with his pale muscles matched with the one caused by his scars.

«What are you looking at?» he huffed, without turning.

«I'm looking at you.»

Kid stopped and his amber eyes flicked on you. A wrinkle appeared between his non-existent eyebrows.

Even now, caught in a random moment of relative peace, Eustass Kid looked somehow ferocious.

«You're almost asleep.» he observed with a grimace.

You hummed, fingers lazily caressing the fresh sheet.

There was something soft and comforting in the emptiness you felt inside. As if, for once, it was okay.

A small voice in your head spoke a bitter truth, again: you hadn't experienced such a feeling in two years.

And boy, wasn't it ironic to experience it as a prisoner in Eustass "Captain" Kid's cabin.

And yet, here I am.

Moving the things on his desk, the redhead came across the children's book, still leaning there.

«Birdie.»

«Hmm?»

«Isn't Captain Jack's a strange story to enjoy for a marine?»

You forced yourself to open your eyes.

Kid was putting the book back on the shelf, behind the heavy manuals.

«It's not like this.» you replied in a drowsy voice «It's more of a memory. I had that book when I was a child.»

«Me too.» he leaned against the desk, looking at you «Then why am I a captain on a pirate ship, while you're a marine?»

Your heartbeat grew a little faster.

Here it came, a conversation you didn't even dare to have with yourself.

«Because, someday, a real-life captain Jack came to my island and slaughtered half of the population.» you said, staring at the ceiling «I almost ended up in the wrong half too.»

«This happens all the time.» Kid scoffed «Marines are not saints either. What about fucking Ohara?»

You clenched your teeth.

What about it?

«The thirteen year old me didn't know about Ohara, or the Buster calls, or the slavery trade. She just knew she was about to die. It was a marine who saved me.»

A marine. Just a marine.

You were shaken by your own words.

You never ever spoke about that day, or any day of your past, to anyone.

Not because it was a secret or it was something to protect... there was no reason, actually.

You just hated it, and you didn't want it to define you in any way.

Aokiji was there, Aokiji knew, and it was all that mattered.

«So that's it?»

You shot a glare at Kid. There was contempt on his face.

«What?»

He snorted.

«You met one nasty pirate and one good marine, and you decide you want to live your life as a dog of the World Government instead of choosing freedom?»

You blinked.

«I...»

«I thought you were smarter than this.» he growled.

Your stomach rolled up.

I thought so too.

«Eustass Kid.» you slowly said «You take boys on your ship, and those boys die, thinking they're doing something heroic. But they're just dying.» you had to pause to hide the knot in your throat «If this is Captain Jack's legacy, it's not worth it.»

«Bullshit.»

He came closer till his shadow hovered on you.

The air around him was burning, and your heart was pounding.

«It's worth every bit, and you fucking know it.»

You held your breath.

Jen died. But did he die happy?

«Not everyone is like you, Kid. Not everyone can be Captain Jack.»

He sat on the bed, and his weight made you sink towards him.

You instinctively lifted yourself, using your tired arms as a support. The action brought you closer.

«But every crappy orphan on every revolting island has the right to try.» he hissed.

You swallowed as he grabbed the collar of your bathrobe, pulling you roughly against him till your noses brushed.

«Most of them will lack the courage and will rotten forever on those useless islands. Hundreds of them will die before becoming men.» Kid was whispering against your lips «Then there will be one like you, and one like me.»

Your hand crawled on his metallic grip.

«...and when they meet, they will try to kill each other.» a cruel smile took over his expression «Isn't it ironic?»

«K-Kid.» your fingers clenched around his «I'm a marine, and you're a pirate from the Worst Generation. One... one of us could really kill the other.»

You felt his flesh hand enveloping your neck. It just rested there, without putting any pressure, but it was clear he could easily choke you with no effort.

«"...and if we die, we die"» he breathed, mouth brushing yours.

You recognized the line from the children's book.

«"But first, we'll live."» you completed in a whisper.

He pushed you down the mattress and captured your lips with his.

*

The quoted line is actually from a real famous book (not at all for children, though), one of my favourites. If you recognized it, a thumb up for ya! ;)