Night 14

Trigger warning: the following chapter is very bitter and may have disturbing content both for the past of the reader and her interaction with Kid.

*

«I'm done with the stiches. The pain will be back in a couple of hours, you apply the ointment I gave you. And, hum... it may scar.»

«Great.» you grumbled, putting your shirt back on and jumping down the infirmary bed.

«Try not to move too much.» the doctor warned.

You didn't even look at him while heading outside.

«Girl.»

Your hand stopped on the doorknob.

«Use your brain. I know you have one.»

Anger entered your wrinkled face.

You quickly exited the room and slammed the door.

There was no banquet, that night.

The whole ship was pretty quiet. It was already dark, and the tables were back below deck, and the pirates resumed their roles.

Not wanting to deal with any of them, you climbed the mast and slid inside the craw's nest.

Of course there was going to be someone on lookout duty, you were only hoping they were no one from the higher ranks.

So you scoffed in frustration when you found Wire there.

His sharp eyes briefly landed on you before fixing back on the wide sea.

You crouched down in the farthest spot, leaning against the bench.

For a few minutes, nobody talked.

«Are you going to spend the night there?» he asked, with an uninterested voice.

«Yes.»

Wire waited for you to add something, but your gaze was lost in the dark waves, features imbued with bitterness.

«Can I ask you a question?»

You hissed.

«I really don't wanna talk now.»

«I see. Just tell me this, marine girl: in the Marines, if someone disobeys an order, what will happen?»

Your eyes flicked on him, filled with resentment.

«Why are you asking me this?»

«Don't they get hung?»

Your fingers grabbed the fabric of your trousers as you turned your face away.

«Even if they are boys?» he piled on it.

«Shut. The fuck. Up.»

He shrugged.

The night got colder than the previous ones. There was no moon, and a thick coat of clouds covered the stars, so the darkness was almost complete.

You were nearly asleep when a shiver shook you.

«You know what.»

Wire's calm voice gently dragged you out from agitated dreams.

He spoke lowly, without looking at you, like he was chanting a poem to himself.

«This morning, we came across an island we know already. Of course I'm not supposed to tell you this. Anyway, we asked the captain if we had to dock, like we usually do.»