Day 28 [ENDING]

«Just one thing.»

Your fingers were hard frozen around the strap of your rifle. Your pale face was lowered, messy locks hiding your eyes. Mouth completely dry, words wouldn't come out.

Aokiji sighed, sending a side glance at you over his shoulder.

His big hand lingered on the jamb.

«If things go wrong, in Punk Hazard... will you be fine, [Y/n]?»

Your lips parted, in an attempt to let more air in for your increased breath rate.

That was the moment – he was finally asking for confirmation of you being independent from him.

You knew you should have said yes, you knew and you tried with every fucking fibre of your tense body.

It wasn't enough.

No sound came from you.

Aokiji waited a few more seconds before turning.

«Later, [Y/n].»

It was only when he closed the door behind him that you dropped on your knees and hit the floor with your fist, hating yourself like when you still were on that shitty island.

That was the last thing he ever said to you.

Eustass Kid woke up later than usual. And in an empty bed.

Stirring out of sleep without your familiar warmth pressed against him felt weird.

When his flesh hand reached out to the rest of the mattress without meeting any obstacle aside from plain sheet, it was like a surge of panic ran through his body.

Suddenly, he was completely awake.

It wasn't a rational reaction, it happened before that you got up before him and he never even noticed.

That day, though, it was different.

He jumped down the bed, barely threw some boxer and slacks on and rushed outside.

The deck was almost desert, just a few men that sent confused glances at him.

Kid didn't even look at them and hurried to the galley.

The right door was just around the corner when the familiar voice reached him and he stopped.

Most of the crew was gathered right outside.

Killer leaned right beside the closed door, with Heat nearby. Then Wire, the Mohican, Booka, Leo and others. All there, still and silent.

Quietly, Kid took a step back before they could see him.

Your voice was flowing from inside the galley.

His heart did something strange in his chest when he realized he had never heard you singing before.

«...there used to be a greying tower alone on the sea

You became the light of the dark side of me

Love remained a drug that's the high and not the pill

But did you know, that when it snows,

My eyes become large and the light that you shine can be seen?»

Kid leaned against the wall, wide gaze fixed in front of him.

Around the corner, the men were trying to hang as close as they could to the door without making any noise.

«...the more I get of you, the stranger it feels