Day 24 and 25

It was still the middle of the night when a harsh grip on your waist woke you up.

You squinted in the darkness as Kid's fingers dug in your skin.

«Oi.» you hissed, trying to make him release his grasp.

The moment you touched him, you felt his body incredibly tense.

A low growl escaped his throat while you rolled on yourself to face him.

He was asleep, but his jaw was cemented in a grimace and his forehead was twitching.

Is he having a nightmare?

You gasped when his fingers dived deeper in your hip.

«Kid.» you called softly, leaning your palm on his pale cheek «Hey, wake up.»

He snarled and you shook him.

«Kid!»

His amber eyes snapped open, and for a second you dreaded his murderous gaze, glowing in the dark. It lasted only an instant, though, then a frown settled in his sharp features.

«What the...»

«A nightmare.» you said, detaching his hand from your waist.

A rivulet of sweat lined his temple as he tried to regain his breath.

Surprising even yourself, your fingers gently wiped it away.

His lost eyes flicked on you and a flash of confusion traversed them.

«It's fine.» you whispered, while your hand slid down the line of his neck «I have them all the time.»

He inhaled deeply.

His muscles were still rigid, and he shuddered when you brushed his scar.

Was he reminiscing about losing an arm...?

Without thinking, you leaned over and placed a light kiss on his shoulder, where the metal met the skin.

«Don't.» he hissed, but he didn't push you away.

His eyes were tightly shut now, forehead wrinkled as he was trying to repress something painful.

Your heart ached at that sight.

I want to slaughter the person who did this to him. Slowly.

And this is so unlike me.

You cupped his face between your hands.

«Whether it was a dream or a memory, it's gone now.»

Kid let out a ragged breath and peered at your from behind some stray locks.

Outside, the storm was still raging.

Unable to keep away for some reason, you placed another kiss on the corner of his mouth, fingers tracing soothing circles on his skin.

Gradually, his breath calmed down.

You kept your ministrations on for a couple of minutes, until he suddenly pushed you on your back and rolled over your body.

Instead of making a move as you expected, however, Kid buried his face between your breasts and lay there.

After the surprise faded, you chuckled.

«Aww, poor Kiddo.»

He grunted and pinched your side, making you jump.

«Shut up.»