Chapter Nineteen : The Calm Before The Storm

"I am not only the calm before the storm; I am both the calm and the storm."

-Ivy Atalanta

*****************************

Alex's POV

For some minutes, Nicolai and I just stared at each other. We just soaked in the appearance of each other without bothering to be discreet about it. what was the use of cowering from him? He was my mate after all.

"I'm sure you've seen that we're nearing a full moon and hopefully you've already been briefed on what is to take place on the upcoming full moon." Finally, Nicolai broke the silence and that was when I shifted my gaze to a stack of files on his desk. I remained silent even as Nicholai paused. I could feel the heat of his gaze on me but stubborn as I was, I didn't want to look up and meet his eyes.

The eyes are the doorway to the heart, they said. And I believed. I couldn't afford to look into his eyes and see something that would make me lose all hope for our relationship. It would hurt me if I saw in his eyes that he was not going to mark me.

"As you are aware, I'd have to claim and mark you on the full moon." He whispered but thanks to the sensitive hearing bestowed upon werewolves I heard it as clear as day.

"Okay... If you don't w-"

"I never said I didn't want to" Nicholai cut my sentence short. It was then that I lifted my eyes to meet his.

My eyes met his heated ones and there was a flash of something in his eyes. I couldn't place my finger on it but someway somehow my wolf seemed happy to have had a glimpse of the emotion.

"I do hope you understand the implications of marking me, Alpha." I sneered.

"You don't think I do? Our mate pull would be very strong not to talk of being able to feel what you feel"

"Timeout, I think I didn't hear audibly enough... You'd be able to feel what I feel?" I was shocked. I was only aware of the increased mate pull.

Mate pull is this sort of attraction or pull between claimed mates. It makes the mates somewhat territorial towards each other and makes them crave each other. They'd want to know the whereabouts of their mates at all times and will be on defense should there be any threats around, especially the males. Basically, they wouldn't want to be separated from their mates.

"Not just that, you'd also be able to feel what I feel. Mine would be stronger though, with me being an alpha male."

"I see" at that moment I couldn't hold his gaze. I suddenly grew interested in the beauty of the books arranged on one of the shelves.

"Dria..." My body responded to being called Dria by him only to realize that Nicholai had taken the pain to move closer to me.

He called us Dria. My wolf was practically turning to mush.

"Nicholai..." What I intended to come out as a sort of warning came out as a whisper of his name.

Nicholai crouched in front of me and touched my cheek. Gently rubbing his fingers on my skin. The contact between us was making my heart thump a little faster. Shivers ran down my spine as goosebumps dotted my skin.

"Nicholai..." this time it came out more as a moan.

"You have no idea..." And with that Nicholai brushed his lips on the corner of my mouth and left his office, leaving me a bundle of emotions and tingles.

"Damn you full moon!" I said with a hint of a smile.

***********

We didn't know exactly when the others would attack but we had a feeling it was close. It's been quite long since we heard anything...