Chapter Forty: The Price Paid

"Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true."

-Leo Jozef Suenens
*******************

Nicolai's POV

I knew Jake was brave and courageous but I didn't know how reckless he could be and think it was bravery. Like how could he decide to taunt the Sorceress in that manner?

I'm very thankful that his little stunt worked but imagine if it hadn't gone how he envisioned it to go. I mean what would have become of us? Would we still be alive at this time? Only the fates knew.

Though we had managed to meet someone instead of fraternizing with the gush of wind from before, we still had a huge problem. The Sorceress had travelled and her aide didn't know when she would be back. That was going to pose a problem for us. I didnt mind staying here till the Sorceress returned but the billion-dollar question was when?!

When would the Sorceress be back? And would she come back in time to save my child and possibly my marriage?

"What do you mean by you dont know when she would be back?" Jake questioned. I could sense the worry in his tone and I guessed we were both thinking about the same thing.

"You understood what I said. She didn't tell me when she would be back so you'd have to go and come back later when shes here."

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY WE WOULD HAVE TO GO AND COME BACK?! DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHERE WE CAME FROM OR HOW IMPORTANT IT IT IS FOR US TO SEE HER?" Jake exploded and I had to hold him back because he lunged at the aide.

"Calm down Jake! This isn't how to go about the situation. This won't solve anything!"

"Sorry" he mumbled and shrugged out of my hold. I turned back to the aide who had an amused look on her face.

"Could we come and wait for her inside?" I asked quietly.

"Of course not. You cannot wait for her inside." I felt deflated. I didnt even bother asking another time because of the stern expression on her face.

"What do we do now?"

"As I said, go and come back later or you could camp out till the Sorceress returns." And then she left us standing there, mute; watching her walk away. I let out a sigh and turned to Jake who just shrugged.

"I don't mind us waiting for her. We've already come this far. Moreover we can't possibly going back without having revoked the curse" I nodded my head and shook his hand, thanking him for what he was doing for us.

************

We waited.

A day passed and no sign of the Sorceress of Old. Morning came and night fell and still no sign of or from the Sorceress.

We continued waiting

And waiting...

And waiting

The Sorceress never showed up.

One week passed, then another, still no sign of the Sorceress. Occasionally Jake and I would call out the aide but she only repeated what she'd said earlier- "the Sorceress has travelled and I don't know when she would be back."

We went hunting when our food stock run out so that aspect wasn't an issue for us. Moreover, we were werewolves so we could cope with the chilly temperatures at the top of the mountain, especially in the nighttime.

More weeks have passed by and at this point in time I cannot even tell what day today was or how many days, weeks or months had passed since our first two weeks passed.