Chapter Thirty-Six: Truce

"A true relationship is two imperfect people refusing to give up on each other."

-Unknown
******************************

Nicolai's POV

I watched silently with an aching heart at all the emotions that crossed the face of my mate. It broke my heart to see that she was about to go through pain yet again. But there was really nothing I could do to help her. She had to face her parents on her own and the only thing I could do was be by her side through it all.

We had packed the few things we had brought and hopped on a flight back home. Dria had remained quiet since I broke the news off to her. She only spoke when addressed. The light in her eyes seemed to have dimmed. She practically reeked of worry and anxiety.

I didn't know exactly what to do than to allow her be while just holding her and reassuring her that I was here with her- that everything was going to work out well. And also telling her that whatever decision she made was what we were going to act on.

Ultimately I just wanted my mate happy again. And if sending her parents away like they did to her would make her happy, that was exactly what I would do.

The plane landed and we checked out and grabbed our bags. We went to the parking lot where Travis was waiting for us.

"Welcome back man." Travis greeted and bro hugged me. He greeted Alex too but she just gave a nod and a slight smile. I exchanged looks with Travis. We climbed into the car after securing our bags in the boot and then drove off to Bloodhound Pack.

Alex's POV
The drive back to the pack house was not that very long but it did feel like I had been cooped up in the car for long. Nicolai and I were seated at the back while Travis drove. Nicolai had his arm around me and I could hear him catching up with Travis.

I didn't bother listening in to know what it was they were currently talking about. I wouldnt have contributed so it was no use listening in. Travis had tried talking to me but after his failed attempts at getting any proper reaction from me he had given up.

I didn't blame him for giving up so soon. I just wasnt in the mood to talk or do anything. There was just a lot on my mind. And all had to do with the fact that my parents were presently in my pack house.

"Were here. Welcome home." Someone announced and that was when I raised my head and saw that we were in fact at home; in front of the pack house. We alighted and made way into the pack house.

With a sense of trepidation and a frown etched on my face I walked fully into the sitting room.

"ALEX!!!"

"ALEX!!!" my face broke into a huge smile at the mention of my name. I could recognize those voices from anywhere.

"SELENE! SELENA!" I shouted back and ran the rest of the way to engulf my 5-year-old younger sisters in a hug.

"We missed you Alex. Mummy told us that you had travelled."

"I missed you too munchkins." I told them, not commenting on the fact that they had told the girls I had travelled.

I sensed their presence even before I saw them. I stood from my crouched position and turned to look fully at my parents. Our eyes were locked in a staring completion but I broke it.

Unable to take it I passed by them without a word and ran up the stairs into mine and Nicolai's room.

I flopped unto the bed and curled myself up into a ball. Tears I hadn't realized I was holding cascaded down my face. I don't even know why I was crying because I am not the one who had left their child on her own and chosen a pack over their own flesh and blood.