Chapter Twenty-Six: The Lotus

"From the mud of adversity grows the lotus of joy."

-Carolyn Marsden

*****************************

Alex's POV

Life really had a very funny way of making you more appreciative of what you have.

At some point in our time on this planet, life hands us back what we have invested. It is a bit like the law of attraction but a little tweaked.

Or maybe not.

We show the universe how we feel towards the things that we've been gifted with and if she thinks we arent appreciative enough, then she finds a way to give us some sort of a reality check.

Think of it as some sort of a reward system; if you didn't really give a shit about the blessings you had then life gave you something to make you give a shit about what you had been given.

That was how I saw everything thats happened between Nicolai and I. Maybe we both didn't give a shit about each other (though I can say that I gave more of a shit than he did) and so life threw us in a life threatening situation for us to finally realize that we only ever had one mate.

Or maybe not.

But the important thing is, we only have one mate at a time and no matter what your initial inhibitions, you both have to work towards your relationship. No one would come and glue you together or fix your relationship for you. Everything laid in your hands. And the moon goddess, of course.

After waking up and calling Nicolai's name, I slipped back into unconsciousness and I woke again the following day. By then I was stronger and healing well. I didn't feel so beat up. My ribs were filled now as compared to how they were when I was being kept hostage.

Not that I was complaining but the only people I've seen since waking up were Nicolai (obviously), Jake, Travis, Demetri and Aiden- practically the leaders of the pack. Nicolai was by my side all the time all day; he only left to freshen up. Jake came at the end of the day. Aiden came to visit with Jake sometimes and I must say I was very grateful for their support.

There were times where I wondered if my old family knew about our fight with Trevor and that I was kidnapped again. And whether they cared about what had happened or whether they cared about me at all.

There were also those few times where I wondered if my parents would ever come to their senses and come and look for me. Whether they would ever reach out to me to reunite the family.

Shaking my head, I turned away from the window in my room. I had been here since I woke up. Id refused to speak to Nicolai because I was slightly mad at him for marking me.

Deep down I knew his reasons for doing so were justified and I had also known beforehand that the marking would happen on the full moon. I guess what made me mad at him was that it just happened.

Nothing fancy, nothing romantic. The marking just happened and it was forgotten.

I'd heard stories of how mates made sure there was a beautiful setting before marking their mates and I'd always wished and hoped my marking would have been in a romantic atmosphere.

But what can I say? Nothing between Nicolai had been conventional so I shouldn't be so surprised.

I walked towards my bed and laid down. Staring at my ceiling, I allowed myself drift off into a dreamless sleep.

*****

I gasped as I awoke from my sleep.

My heart was pounding. I felt tired; as if I was engaged in a rigorous activity.