Chapter Thirty: Dolor (Pain)

"Sometimes painful things can teach us lessons that we didnt think we needed to know."

*************************

Nicolai's POV

I can't believe I had fallen asleep during the movie. I guess I was more tired than I had thought. Feeling uneasy, I looked to my side to see that my mate wasnt by me.

My first reaction was to panic. So many thoughts went through my mind and I tried as much as possible not to think that the worst had happened to her.

I got up and quickly looked through the cottage but there was no sign of Dria. I walked out into the night and scanned around the cottage.

"Dria." I called out to her but there was no answer.

"Alexandria!" I shouted a bit louder and that was when I heard her voice faintly in my mind.

"Nicolai. I'm fine. I'm walking towards the cottage now." I let out a sigh of relief and waited patiently for my mate.

"Mi luz" I said when she was close to me and wrapped my arms around her. She flinched.

I was confused. And hurt. What could the matter be? I thought we had progressed in our relationship such that she wouldnt flinch when I touched her.

"What is the matter? You flinched when I touched you." I questioned as I brought my hand to cup her left cheek. She flinched yet again.

It was then that I saw it. The blood drained from my face. The left side of her face was bruising and a bit swollen.

"Who laid their hand on you?" I asked in a menacing voice that made my mate shudder. She opened her mouth to speak but shut it without uttering a word.

"Love, you have to tell me. I can't help if I don't know who did this. They have to pay for laying their hands on you." I tried convincing her to tell me the one responsible for her bruising face.

"I don't know." She whispered but I was still able to hear her clearly.

"How can you not know?" I questioned exasperated.

"I just don't know okay? He didn't have a scent on him which I found odd and he also sounded vaguely familiar which I found odd too because I would have at least remembered I had met someone who didn't have a scent." As the words poured out of my mates lips there was an image that was forming in my head. I had a picture of the one who had taken my mate and lifted his hand on her.

"He asked for me to deliver a message to you. He said to tell you that, don't forget what I said all those years ago, mi hijo" my blood went cold. There was only one person who could have said this. It was him. This only just confirmed the image that formed in my head as Dria described her encounter.

No, no, no.

Now I was furious. It was one thing to mess with me but it was a completely different thing to lay a hand on my mate.

"We're no longer spending the night here; we're going back to the pack house." I announced as I held her hand in mine and walked towards the pack house.

The walk back was silent and not as pleasant as it was at the beginning of the night. I could only blame him. Leave it to him to try to ruin everything for me.

Why was I even allowing this in the first place? Haven't I allowed him take away so much from me? Would I let him destroy what I had with my mate too?

As soon as we entered the pack house Alex and I walked to our room where I ensured she was settled in bed, after which I walked out of the room and unto the third and last floor of the pack house.