Did I Stutter?

Chapter Five

Monday, October 2nd

It's Monday and we finally have our first basketball game. I been waiting. We had a week of practice but this the real shit now.

The whole basketball team including Zo was here to watch at Melo's request. They all pretty much like brothers to me so it's cool to have them here for our first game.

"I'm nervous, Jae." Shantay said, twiddling her thumbs together nervously, she always be nervous for everything.

"It's gon be fine, Tay. Just breathe." I helped her calm down until she seemed not as nervous. Shantay isn't the best basketball player, and i'm putting it lightly. Coach only put her on the team to 'balance it out'. There's always that one bad player on a team y'know?

"Chino Hills, that way. Maxwell Heights, that way." The ref said pointing to the opposite sides of the court. His whistle blew and he threw the ball up in the air. Maxwell hit it back to their team.

Number 15 who I was guarding tried going in for a layup but my defence was good. She kept pushing me trying to get close enough to the net, I wasn't boutta back down. Eventually she got annoyed and dropped the ball shoving me. I stumbled back a bit but didn't fall.

The ref blew his whistle multiple times trying to indicate not to take this any further.

"Girl, just play the game and stop being a pussy." I said annoyed, wiping the beads of sweat off my forehead with my jersey.

"Whatchu say to me?" Number 15 came up to me thinking she all tough.

"Did I stutter?" I said getting in her face too.

"Jae, stop it ain't worth it. Do your talking with the ball." Melo stood up and called out from the sidelines.

I looked over at him and nodded, realizing he was right. Melo used to it. He got people tryna talk up to him on the court constantly. But he know better than to say anything, he show them what he about on the court.

"Good job, Jaelyn. Keep calm." LaVar said from the bench. LaVar usually helps Coach K out as an assistant coach. But he's the main coach for the boys' team.

The ref blew his whistle again, telling me to stand at the foul line.

"Two shots. Relax on the first." He called out, bouncing the ball to me.

I concentrated on the ball, putting it up into the net. 1 down 1 to go.

"Second shot. Live off the rim!"

I put the ball up and it went in again.

"LETS GO JAE!" I heard a couple of the boys cheer me on, helping my nerves go down.

The game finished 76-58 us.

Mia, Tay and I all gave each other hugs boasting that we had won.

"Yall did great out there for yo first game. Keep it up." LaVar said, he being more calm than usual. When we at the Ball house he could be mistaken as one of us, I swear. He so loud.

I trudged my sweaty self over to the guys giving them all a hug, just so I could leave my sweat on them. Sounds gross, I know. But they be doing more gross things to me so they deserve it.

"Ew, ya nasty! Get away." Quan squealed like a girl, slipping out of my embrace.

Gelo ruffled my hair, "Good game, Big J."

"Thanks, Big G."

"Y'all down for ice cream to celebrate this win?" Melo said suddenly excited at the thought of ice cream. This boy eats like an elephant but is still skinny as hell. How, I will never know.

"Yesssss!" I moaned, ice cream is my boo.

After we had cleaned up in the change room the gang headed out to get some ice cream.

"I BUY A NEW CAR FOR THE BITCH, I TEAR DOWN THE MALL WIT THE BITCH, YOU CANT EVEN TALK TO THE BITCH, SHE FUCKIN WIT BOSSES AND SHIT !" Zo, Eli, Gelo and Melo rapped along with the song.

"I PULL UP IN RARI'S AND SHIT, WITH CHOPPERS AND HARLEY'S AND SHIT!" Shantay, Mia and I sang along too. 21 will forever make bangers .

I opened snap and recorded the boys singing and dancing in they seats, captioning it "Gettin jiggy wit it🤘🏽"

"Sniper gang Kodak, for life though, you already know I stay loyal." Melo said. He stay saying sniper gang Kodak I swear!

"How you like Kodak better than 21?" Quan asked. I was wondering the same damn thing.

"Ahlie!" I yelled preaching what Quan said.

"What's ahlie?" Everyone asked me.

you ain't in Toronto anymore.

"Damn. Ahlie mean that I agree."

They all looked at me blankly for a second but nodded their heads understanding.

*     *     *

I went looking through the fridge for food when I heard someone come down the stairs. I grabbed a pan and kept it in my hand for a weapon as a walked out into the living room.

"Jesus Jaelyn you scared the hell outta me! And what are you doing with a damn pan!" I was surprised to see my Mom standing there.

"Guess i'm not used to anyone being home." I huffed putting the pan away. It's true. Ever since we been in California, Mom has been ghost.

"Don't be like that, Jaelyn. You know i'm workin hard. Getting more pay means working longer and harder. You know I love you though right?" She walked over to me giving me a hug.

"Yeah, I know. What you all dressed up for?" I questioned, noticing her fancy attire.

"Oh, nothing." She sang, a smile playing on her lips as she finished putting in her earrings.

"Momma... Is there a man?" I wiggled my eyebrows, that's the only explanation.

"Maybe. I'm sorry for missing your game tonight. I promise i'll be at the next one and we can go do something together afterwards, OK?" She said with pity in her tone. I know she feels bad for never being around since she told me she never wanted to be like Dad who's never been there.

"Don't worry about it. Tell me all bout your date when you get home. Have fun." I smiled, partly wishing she wouldn't go. I gave her a hug and she planted a kiss on my head.

She walked out the door closing it behind her, leaving me alone once again.

I turned on the house speakers and blasted music, trying to drown out the silence.

In The Hills {LaMelo Ball} जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें