I Can Show You Strokes.

Chapter Twelve

Saturday, October 14th

"Where you goin?" Melo asked me as I got up from his bed

I scrambled to grab my stuff as I looked at the time. "Fuck." I mumbled, almost tripping over some clothes on Melo's dirty ass floor.

"What?" He asked again

"I forgot about something I have to do."

"What's that something?" Melo asked

"Can we talk bout this later?" I rushed, quickly giving him a kiss and running out of his room.

"Yo, Jae. Why so-"

"Gotta go. I'll be over later." I cut Gelo off running down the stairs and out the house.

How could I forget.

- - - -

"Melony Jones, Lane 1. Mateo Quantell, Lane 2. Jaelyn Williams, Lane 3." The coach called off our names.

I went to my lane as he called off the 5 other names.

This pool is huge.

"Alright, first group. 400 metre IM. Your times will decide your spot on the team." Coach announced.

"Ready." A voice said through the speakers letting us know to get up on the diving blocks

You got this.

"On your marks."

I bent down, curling my fingers around the edge of the block.

"BEEP." The noise went off and the 8 of us dove in the water.

I continued doing the IM Order. Butterfly, Backstroke, Breaststroke, and Freestyle.

I touched the wall, letting coach know I finished. I looked at either side of me and I was the first one done.

"Well done, Jaelyn. 5 minutes and 4 seconds." Coach applauded

I was breathing heavily as I pulled myself out the pool. I sat on the edge letting my feet hang in the water.

I watched the rest of them and the boy Mateo came in behind me at 5 minutes and 45 seconds. The rest of them started coming in behind him.

"You fast." A voice said and I looked down in the lane beside me seeing Mateo.

He lightskin, has hazel/brown eyes and I couldn't see his hair cause his swim cap was on.

"You not so bad yo self." I complimented him back.

"Nah, but you real fast. How you get 5 minutes and 4 seconds? That ain't even healthy."

I laughed, "Thanks. What school you go to?"

"Mater Dei." He told me.

Mater Dei.. I remember Melo telling me bout a game against them.

"Oh nice, you know Bol Bol?"

"Yeah we cool. He tall." Mateo laughed and I nodded in agreement.

"I never met him before, but he is 7'2 so i'd imagine he tall. You play ball?" I asked

"Nah, I mean i'm half black so I guess it's in there somewhere, but it ain't my preferred sport." He shrugged taking his cap off and dipping his head under the water. "You?"