First Day of School

Brianna’s POV

I said up in my bed with Mr. Giggles hugged tight in my arms staring at the yellow monstrosity lying across a chair. The sun is still rising, the house is still sleeping and yet I’m up thinking. Trying to think of a game plan for today, the first day of school. Over and over in my head I replay, I will not be ignored, I will not be used, I will not be anyone other than me. Whoever me is. I guess another goal should be to figure that out. I did come here for a fresh start so I guess it’s part the mission statement. Whatever that is. I gave a quite sigh and whispered to Mr. Giggles “Why am I so hopeless?” And crazy now that I think about all the times I spoke to this bear that never replies.

I quietly chuckled at my madness as the alarm for school rang. I watch Haruhi’s arm fling from under her cover and slap down onto the top of the clock muting the annoying ringing. Then my glare went back to the yellow monstrosity in front of me that I soon had to put on. Why does life hate me?

Breakfast went by too quickly while Haruhi told me about how nice the people were, and how the libraries are never used for studyingbut she still wanted me to wait for her there after school. Haruhi was still talking as we grabbed our school bags and I grabbed my violin and headed out the door waving bye to Ranka. I stopped listening to her after awhile. Not in a rude way or anything but I was just lost in my own thought. Well that was until she asked me, “Are you nervous?”

“More like scared out of my mind,” I said with a little chuckle.

“Why?”

“Well my only real concerns is having to read out loud and meeting friends. I didn’t really have very good friends back in America.”

“Well you got me, I’m your friend.”

I laughed a little and said “well yeah at home, but at school you have other friends you’ve been here I haven’t.”

“Your only a first year, everyone is new.”

I gave Haruhi a look and said, “I’m not a first year. I’m a second; I’m in your class.”

“Oh… Why didn’t I know that?” Haruhi asked.

I just shrugged and said “You never asked.”

We turned the corner and this massive building stood in front of us a half a block away. I felt like I could just disintegrate into the air and let the wind carry me all the way back to the U.S.

This is too much; I can’t do this, I… I…”I’m going home.” I said as I turned around, “Where can I get a ticket to The United States.”

Haruhi grabbed me by the arm and said “No you’re not your coming!”

She struggled to hold me back since I grabbed a street poll near me. She was now tugging at my feet as I held on for dear life.

“Haruhi?” Said two voices, I’m shocked I could even hear them over my screaming.

“Oh, hey guys.” She said.

“Um… what are you doing?” The boys spoke at the same time but I had my eyes shut too tight to see them.

With one final tug Haruhi pulled me free from the poll and I fell to the ground then screamed. “FINE I’M GOING! I just need to make a phone call really quick.”

I pulled out my cell phone and hit my number one speed dial after two rings it went to voice mail. I spoke quickly saying, “Hey ma, this is your daughter, you know the one in the Japan who you should answer all phone calls for! I was just calling to tell you it’s my first day of school, the place is huge and I might die. Ok love you call you later, that is if I live. Bye.”