Chapter 20 - Brewing the Storm

Andy was over the moon to have his mother over. He could hardly contain his excitement as he helped her mix the filling of his favourite beef vegetable dumplings, while she churned out layer after layer of dough wraps with quick hands. Rita scooped a dollop of filling and placed them into each wrap, sealing the dumpling in pleated folds, a technique she learned from Ariel when they were in high school.

Having her son and friends around lifted up Ariel's moods. It felt therapeutic after an awful day in the penthouse. Even though Andy did not mind being under the care of Rita, it was not the same as having his mother around. He had to remind her of his next medical appointment with the doctor, or remind her to buy extra food when there was not enough in the fridge. Without mum around and with Rita going absent-minded from time to time, he was forced to be independent. He got used to making his own breakfast and packing his own school lunches, things his mother would always prepare for him.

Camila and Beth were looking forward to the big feast of Cantonese cuisine of fried dumplings, oyster vegetables and crispy fish skins fried in egg yolk. They were elated after receiving a text message from Ariel that she was granted a day off today. They toasted to her new success with Fujita, and chattered non-stop as they feasted on the delicious dinner that Ariel made, catching up on the latest updates in their lives.

"So what are you going to do with all that money?" asked Rita.

"Set aside for Andy and for a rainy day, of course," said Ariel. She had always been thrifty with money and had not changed her habit about it even after pocketing a huge sum from Fujita, for she learned from her mother the importance of saving than senseless splurging and knew from years of financial struggle how fast money could go. At least, she did not have to worry for now, and looked forward to her $1 million reward even more.

"Sensible as usual. Glad to know we've not lost you," Rita remarked.

"On my, what happened to your jaw?" Beth pointed at the faint bruise that was visible on Ariel.

Ariel motioned Andy to return to his room and was glad he did so immediately since he was the first to finish his dinner, and he was already yawning in boredom at adult talk.

"Mmm...Rita, care to help me explain it?" Ariel sighed, not in the mood the repeat what she told Rita.

"She was assaulted by a drunk, racist maniac called Mia Marlene, who threw her shoes at her. She thought Ariel was the maid and tried to order her around," Rita explained.

"MIA MARLENE?!" Camila shrieked.

"Camil, tone it down!" Ariel begged, motioning her with her hands to calm down.

Camila continued, "Do you have any idea who she is?"

"A bimbo?" Beth guessed with a frown.

"Well, kind of. She's the princess of pop and has dated a string of famous boyfriends from Hollywood actors to millionaire magnates. She frequents this nightclub called Roam where only the rich and powerful hang out. Leon recently signed a multi-million deal with her record label to compose a duet with her and agreed to tour with her next year," Camila explained.

Ariel stood speechless. He just gave up the multi-million dollar contract because of what happened? No wonder the bodyguards refused to escort her out at first!

"What's more, she's the voice for bully-victims and speaks out frequently against bullying." Camila continued.

Ariel choked on her water and broke into a derisive laugh, "What a joke! More like a wolf in sheep's skin! She's a complete reverse!"

"Tell me, Miss Beautiful, what was she doing in Leon's house drunk anyway?" asked Camila.

"Well, he's a playboy and they - " Ariel slapped her mouth shut, realising suddenly that she had almost exposed Leon. By telling her friends that she was bullied by Mia Marlene, was that also a breach of contract? Oh no, what has she done!