Chapter 50 - Not Serious

The departure from the mansion was a bittersweet moment for Ariel.

She bonded so well with Leon's parents that it felt depressing leaving the place. She was definitely going to miss the kitchen, the well-tended gardens, the amazing nature and the peace without the stressful city life and those prying fans and paparazzi. Mrs Waltz had packed a crate of fresh organic vegetables and fruits from their gardens for them to bring back to the city.

Before they headed off, Angel told Ariel in private the reason for Leon's sudden disappearance last night.

"Apparently, Leon was quite incensed that you forgot your birthday. He couldn't believe you never tell him about it. So, he dashed out to the nearby shops to hunt for a last minute gift for you, but unfortunately, they were all closed."

Ariel stood dumbfounded. The dashing out, the night sky, the birthday kiss - all these he did for her in a single night? That was what he meant by "better things to do"?

"My bro's never done this for any girl, not even for the last serious girlfriend he was with for years."

"Oh..." Ariel swallowed hard at the revelation.

Angel continued, "Well, he better watch out how he acts around this so-called girlfriend of his."

"Y-you already know?"

"Yeah! That night by the pool? I forced him to 'fess it up! He may hide it from everyone but he can never hide it from le Angel. I knew he has the hots for you."

"Oh, stop it," she playfully nudged him with her elbow, but his words made her fluttery inside that she broke into a smile. At least, he did not know about their kiss else he would go even crazier.

After saying their goodbyes, Rico drove them back to the city. While inside the van, Leon was once again aloof, much to Ariel's disappointment and disbelief. He sat far away from her and was glued to his handphone, ignoring her throughout the journey.

He acted as if last night's kiss did not happen.

---------

It was increasingly difficult to put out the remembrance of their kiss from Ariel's mind.

Once they reached home, Leon still acted as if nothing happened and never brought up that kiss again. He was quite occupied with his album production, modelling, commercial sponsoring for other big brands, managing Stellar Azure and maintaining the fake couple relationship appearances with Jasmine to spend any time with Ariel. The frequent appearances of Jasmine in the house was proving emotionally difficult for her.

Even though Ariel understood that it was nothing more than a show-mance, it took a lot of strength from her to suppress her jealousy and anger. The photos of them smiling and looking in love looked so convincing that she questioned if Leon had any possible feelings for her at all.

Ariel placed her homemade, not-too-sweet Japanese caramel milk tea on the table next to Leon while he was reading a book in the living room, his body laid across the sofa with his head on the armrest. She was hoping he could be more inviting towards her like he used to at his parents' mansion on the rooftop.

"Here you go, enjoy," she said.

Leon nodded without a word, seemingly engrossed in his book. Ariel was disappointed at his non-reaction towards her and headed back towards the kitchen.

When he reached for his tea, he took a sip and suddenly spat out. He pulled a long strand of hair from his mouth.

"Ariel!!" he cried.

"Yes, Leon?" She rushed up to him.

He got up and dangled the offending stray at her face.

"Are you trying to poison me or something? Disgusting!" he spat out the tea into the cup, and flicked off the hair from his fingers.