Chapter 32 - The Unexpected in Tokyo Tower

The last day of Tokyo was celebrated with a massive, sumptuous Japanese dinner for the entire team at an upscale restaurant in Ginza. Andy headed to the hotel for an early sleep, just in time for the group to feast on local alcohol and start their drinking games.

"Com'on Ariel! Let's see who can down a glass the fastest!" Arnold challenged her.

"Sorry Arnold. I don't drink," Ariel shook her head in gentle refusal.

"WHAT? You don't drink? What are you, still a kid? Which planet do you come from? How can you call yourself a chef if you can't down a glass?!" He poked fun at her, causing everyone at the table to erupt in laughter. He then gestured to a waiter to pour her a glass.

"B-but-"

The glass was placed before her faster than she could refuse and suddenly the whole table cheered in unison for her to drink, "DRINK! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!"

She shook her head in refusal but the rowdy cheer grew even louder. She stared at the tall, golden foaming glass beer mug, helpless at the pressure of everyone challenging and making fun of her. It was futile to declare to everyone how alcohol killed her beloved uncle, or how she seriously hated its stand-alone taste, or how she hated seeing Leon's occasional drunken parades. Even her circle of friends would rather enjoy her homemade teas than binge-drink.

Sitting beside her, Leon ceased his cheering as he noticed fear in her eyes and her quivering lips.

"Perhaps you're a wuss?" Vinny mocked, triggering another roar of laughter in the room.

"Yeah, don't be a shy wuss!" Arnold added.

Leon narrowed his eyes at the two bullies but everyone was too engulfed in their guffaws to take notice of his reaction. He could see Ariel's eyes beginning to water. She felt trapped, just as in high school where everyone made fun of her for her fear of presenting to the class.

"I'll take the challenge," Leon took her glass away and begin downing the drink, surprising everyone.

"Oh? Oh! That was quick!" Arnold quickly downed his glass.

Leon swallowed the last drop and proudly flashed the Japanese V-sign with his fingers, "I won!"

Everyone cheered with whistles and applauded for him.

"Now it's you and I, Ariel!" Vinny challenged her as the waiters refilled their glasses.

"No, no, Vinny. You know I can't!" begged Ariel.

Leon swiftly swooped the refilled glass from before her.

"No, Leon. You don't have to-" Ariel tried to stop him but he was already drinking her glass.

Vinny was momentarily stunned by his action before hurrying to down her glass.

Steady streams of golden beer passed through their throats while everyone cheered on, until Leon gulped down the last drop and slammed the empty glass mug onto the table first, smugly flashing the V-signs with both his hands.

"Leon, you're the man!" Arnold chortled and clapped for Leon's second win. "Shame on you, Ariel that he has to come to your rescue!"

"Mmm...getting late. I better make a move. Bye, everyone!" Ariel quickly excused herself before they could trap her again.

"Booooo!" the entourage jeered and continued their drinking games.

Ariel let out a huge sigh of relief after coming out of the restaurant. She decided to take a trip down to Tokyo Tower on her last night, which was a much better alternative than joining the boisterous crowd.