Chapter 57 - Breaking Free

Evan: Sorry, Mr Waltz. The security videos showed she was last seen running out of the garden door. There's no sign of her leaving the building too. We'll keep searching.

Leon slumped in his seat, clearly distressed. The gala night was over and many people had left. At first livid and adamant, Jasmine reluctantly agreed to leave with Arnold and the rest of the entourage when Leon insisted on staying back. Evan was the only bodyguard accompanying him, sitting together in one quiet corner away from the main area.

"I think we should call the police, sir," Evan suggested.

"Not yet. I don't want to make a huge ruckus on this with the media. The paps are still outside the building, wondering why I did not come out. If Ariel's still in the musuem, I want to make sure I leave with her."

The caterers were clearing the tables when Leon spotted a familiar face among them. It was the same guy whom he saw touching Ariel. Yes, Darryl Krews! He was managing the catering team on the clearance of the buffet tables and looked suspiciously nervous and anxious. His hand frequently felt the side of his blazer as if making sure whatever precious thing inside was not lost.

Now that Leon had a good look at him, he could see how Andy shared some resemblance to him.

"See that guy over there?" Leon pointed at Darryl.

"Yes?" said Evan.

"I don't like that fella one bit."

"What do you mean, sir?

"He's Ariel's ex-husband, Darryl Krews."

"No way, seriously!" Evan's eyes popped at the sight of Darryl.

"I think he's got something to do with Ariel missing."

"Positive, sir?"

"My guts are telling me so. Let's go confront him."

"Not wise, sir," Evan put his hand on Leon's arm to stop him from leaving his seat. "I suggest we follow him secretly and see where he goes. We could trace Ariel and then I'll confront him from there."

Leon nodded and waited for the right opportunity to follow Darryl.

---------------

Ariel tried uncomfortably to slice the rope tied around her hands with the fruit knife held upright between her feet. It was tough to re-position the knife correctly each time it fell from her feet as her sense of touch was her only guide in the dark. Finally, the rope was cut through and she was able to release her hands and remove the tape from her mouth. She gave out her loudest cries of help and banged her body weight onto the door many times but to no avail. Her throat was already feeling sore from her excessive screaming and her body was in pain. She tried to pry open the door with the knife until it bent and broke off from the handle. Realising that there was no way out, she collapsed onto the van floor and sobbed, absolutely hopeless at her peril.

----------------

Leon and Evan tiptoed from afar as they followed Darryl who wheeled a trolley of catering equipment into the carpark. Each time Darryl turned around, they swiftly hid behind a nearby wall, pillar or vehicle.

"Look over there, sir." Evan pointed at Ariel's shoes and purse on the carpark floor not too far ahead.

"I knew it!" Leon whispered angrily under his breath.

They traced his trail until Darryl reached a black van in the most isolated corner of the carpark. Giving one last glance of his surroundings, Darryl opened the back door of his van and found Ariel sprawled asleep with her limbs and mouth free.

"You are one clever b****," he got up into the van and stomped on her tummy at the same spot where he had kicked her earlier, causing her to howl out a blood-chilling scream.

"Scream and you'll be dead!" he threatened. "But not before I taste you one last time." He stroked her bare thighs hungrily and proceeded to undo his belt. Just as he was about to unbuckle his pants, Darryl felt a strong arm choked around his neck and pulled him down onto the floor.

"Don't you DARE touch her!" Leon sent a ballistic punch to his face.

"I'm her husband, what are you talking about," Darryl laughed out derisively, flashing his bloodied teeth. While Leon confronted Darryl, Evan quickly carried Ariel out of the van and laid her on the ground safely away.

"What husband?" Leon punched him again. "Where were you when she carried your child? When she lost her parents? When she was almost made homeless? When she cooked the most delicious food on earth? When her kisses taste so much better than any woman out there?" With each question Leon threw at Darryl, he rained a punch to his face. "Where were you when your son was sick? Or on his first day of school? When he loved swimming and laughed at a dog's kiss, were you there? Call yourself a husband and father, what a joke! You good-for-nothing scum of a deadbeat!"

Darryl balled his fist and punched Leon back, mustering all his strength to wrestle with him on the floor. Evan grabbed Darryl from behind and punched him down, shielding Leon from him while Darryl tried to fight back, but Evan managed to subdue him. As Evan lurched forward for another round, Darryl swiftly pulled the gun out of his blazer and shot Evan in the chest. The impact caused him to fall backwards, bloodied and unconscious.

"EVAN!!!" Ariel screamed in horror.

"Your boyfriend, huh?" Darryl said to Ariel as pointed his gun at Leon who sat frozen on the floor, alarmed in fright and disbelief at what just happened. The sight of the gun pointing at him made him see his entire life go past in a flash before his eyes.

"If I can't have you, Ariel, no one can," Darryl proceeded to pull the trigger.

"Darryl, NOO!!" Ariel mustered all her strength to get up and threw herself at Leon.

BANG!

Leon opened his eyes to the weight that threw him back. He could feel and smell blood splattered all over his face and body, and quivered at the sight.

"Ariel....ARIEL!"

He touched the gushing wound on her head and shook her. "Dear God, no, please...Ariel, Ariel wake up!" he cried and cradled her limp body in his arms. Leon kissed her lips in between calling her name many times, but she responded not. Her eyes remained shut and blood was profusely trickling down her face. It all seemed so unreal.

Darryl fell to his knees and broke into an insane guffaw, flashing his bloodied teeth while slapping his thigh with each bellowing laugh. He stretched out his arms heavenwards and declared with pride, "You know, dude? It's game over."

He pointed the gun into his own mouth and pulled the trigger.