Chapter 44 - Can't Concentrate

In less than an hour after introducing herself to the director and the team, Camila was thrown into the job on full speed working with other makeup artists. She was given the synopsis of the story and some sketch ideas done by the art team, working with her tools on Leon first as she was familiar with him, and so as to ease her anxiety before she could proceed on to the other actors and actresses.

"I need a bit more contouring on this side...yes...there...nice!" remarked William as he pointed at areas of the face where he wanted her to work on. Leon bent forward to the mirror from his seat and observed the makeup effects on his face.

"Much better than Dominic's," Leon gave her a hi-five, referring to the previous lead makeup artist who was fired yesterday.

"Good job!" William flashed a thumbs-up to Camila, who wreathed in smiles and blushed at his approval. Her confidence was building as she proceeded with Jasmine Ferne and other actors and actresses. It still felt surreal that she was finally achieving her dream to be a Hollywood film make-up artist. She chatted jovially with the actors and actresses in her usual star-gazing attitude.

"Nice work," Jasmine praised, "I love how you did my hair." She tossed to and fro at the mirror to scrutinise her wavy curls.

"Thanks, Jasmine," Camila beamed, ecstatic that one of her favourite movie stars complimented her.

"Alright, everyone!" clapped William, "Let's start filming."

Camila went to sit at a the table in a corner with Ariel and Evan as the actors readied themselves to film.

"How's it?" asked Ariel.

"A dream come true!" drooled Camila as she pinched her cheeks once more. "Jasmine Ferne said she loves my work and followed me on my Instagram!"

"You're now our next new star," chuckled Ariel.

"I need to return to the team, but not before I take some snapshots of the acting for my portfolio. See ya later," Camila excused herself.

"See ya."

"My my, I never see that smile leave her face since this morning," Evan chuckled.

"Yeah. Like me, she struggled in her career too and finally got the big break she had been wanting for years."

"All three of us were nobodies who finally make it to where we are now," Evan added.

"True. By the way, I'm getting bored," Ariel watched the acting and the retaking of the same scene.

"Me too," Evan drummed his fingers on the table, "But I can't leave anywhere unless the boss gives me the permission to. Acting behind the scenes for films is so boring and tiring. Waiting, acting, retaking, complaining, touching up...WOW. I'll only be interested if there's a fighting scene. That'll turn me on!"

Ariel giggled at Evan's observation. "So, is that how you got into the bodyguard business?"

"Yeah, sort of," Evan nodded. "I'm a huge fan of Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Donnie Yen and those other martial artists on screen. Never missed out on a single martial arts movie ever in my life. I used to be in the military. Now, I'm a bodyguard for a celebrity."

"Nice! I wish I knew some self-defense moves. Would really come in handy," said Ariel, remembering the Martin incident.

"Why not? I can teach you," Evan stood up to his feet and offered his hand to Ariel.

"Really? That'd be awesome!" she took his hand and lifted herself up to her feet.

"I can teach you some basics. This corner here is spacious."

"Alright, I'm ready."

Facing each other, Evan taught her straight punching and arm block movements, and got her to follow. He was very steady and fast, and Ariel felt like a little branch stick compared to his hulky figure.

"Now punch harder here," Evan lifted up both his palms.

"A-are you sure you're not gonna get hurt?" Ariel frowned with worry. "I don't wanna hurt you."

Evan chuckled at her cute reaction, "I'm trained in this remember? Your punch is nothing to me, so gimme all you got!"

With one hesitant pull of her elbow, Ariel forced a punch towards his palm but missed. The swinging of her elbow caused her spin around and fall backwards.

"Oops! Careful there," Evan caught her in his arms in time.

"I'm bad at this," her face was red with laughter.

"CUT!!"

The both of them turned to the fuming, booming voice across the set.

"Leon, what's going on? This is a simple scene that we're now on our eighth retake but your eyes are focusing elsewhere and not on Jasmine!" William complained.

Ariel noticed Leon's eyes boring at them in a murderous fashion, causing her to shudder as she remembered that same expression that she saw at Roam.

He turned towards William and said in a low tone, "I need a break."

William shook his head and clapped his hands, "Alright, five-minute break everyone." He said frustratedly to Leon at close proximity, "This time, it better be good!"

Clenching his teeth behind pursed lips, he stormed off the set and strode towards Ariel and Evan.

"What are you guys doing?" Leon interrogated.

"E-Evan was just teaching me some martial arts moves," stuttered Ariel as she panicked before his angry stare.

"Are you paid to act?" he folded his arms.

"No, but we were-"

"How long has this been going on behind my back?"

"W-What do you mean behind your back?"

"Don't treat me like a fool," his voice sounded dangerous. "How long?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Sir," Evan stepped in, "I was just training her on some basic defense moves. No harm in it,"

"Harm?" he shot a hard look at Evan. "Did I pay her or you to be my bodyguard?"

"Me, sir," Evan replied calmly with a straight posture, his hands gathered at the front of his body.

"Good. You're supposed to watch out for me at all times. What if something happens to me but you're too distracted to save me?"

"I understand, I'll-"

"Back to work!"

"Yes, sir."

Ariel gave a quick look at Evan who kept a motionless face.

"By the way, do you want your lunch now? I can reheat it and-"

"Eat it yourself. I'm getting a takeaway," he sulked and walked off, calling out for Vinny.

"I don't get what's his problem," Ariel complained. "One minute, he can be the nicest person on earth and the next, he's boiling with rage. He's like a see-saw. We really should come up with a nickname for him."

"It's because he's jealous," Evan gave her a wry smile and waggled his brows at her.

"Seriously, Evan? Not again," Ariel rubbed her temples. "You know I don't like men!"

"Me included?"

"That's not what I meant," she rolled her eyes.

"I've got a feeling you'll fall for the boss."

"Oh no, please," she winced. "That's enough, seriously, that's enough!"

"We'll see," he chuckled.