Chapter 54 - The Gala Dinner

While Ryan helped Leon adjust his bowtie and gave finishing touches to his styled hair, Jasmine sat on the sofa with one hand leaning on the armrest, her head resting on her palm and her legs crossed seductively through the slit of her dress.

She observed Leon from head to toe at the clean shaven good looks that was her man - sort of. Jasmine knew that he was avoiding her as usual, but she was determined not to give up. She wore a long, backless green evening dress with almost revealing sheer fabric and shiny embellishments, the opaque parts of the fabric only concealing her private parts, a deliberate plan to lure him to bed with her. Her nails were meticulously painted with intricate nail art that matched her bright red lipstick, her shoulder-length brunette hair was styled in choppy layers with blonde highlights and parted to the side, and she wore expensive diamond jewellery on her hands, ears and neck. She sat in a seductive pose in front of him, but Leon reacted not nor cared to look at her direction.

Meanwhile in Ariel's room, Camila was applying the finishing touches to Ariel's makeup. Instead of doing it thick or over-the-top like Martin's stylist, Sonia De Cruz did, Camila gave Ariel a light Korean makeover that accentuated her natural features. It took a long time to curl her straight waist-long hair with volume and have them cascade flowingly over her shoulders. Ariel wore the silver Swarovski crystal necklace and its accompanying silk bracelet that her late mother left behind, the only jewellery that she possessed.

"Alright, done!" Camila rotated Ariel's seat towards the full-height mirror.

Ariel stood up and observed herself, flabbergasted at the alien, albeit a beautiful one, in the mirror. She blinked a few times to make sure it was really her. "See, I'm the greatest Hollywood makeup artist you'll ever find. And you'll always have it for free," Camila teased.

"This is so much better than Sonia's. I insist on paying you," said Ariel. "I can't believe you've really transformed me. This is fantastic work, Camil. Thanks!" She hugged her.

"Welcome, Miss Beautiful. What are friends for? Payment NOT required!" she laughed.

Vinny knocked on the door, "Ariel, are you done? We're leaving."

"Yup, coming!" Ariel cried out as she put on her high heels.

Even though Leon offered Camila a ticket to attend the gala, she refused. She was already working with many celebrities and was not willing to see some work colleagues during her break. She offered to stay with Andy in the penthouse while they were out, which Ariel was grateful for and Leon agreed, for she already missed the young boy.

The click-clack sound of the high heels were heard in the room. Jasmine raised her head to see Ariel walking towards them, her eyes widened at the appearance.

"You look..different," Vinny remarked coolly, but her expression was that of surprise.

"You too," said Ariel of Vinny's simple black dress.

Leon turned around to look at Ariel and took a step back in near dyspnea. No longer was that ugly hair-bun or those unflattering clothes smelling of grease in sight. Her shoulders, back and legs exposed that soft, slender porcelain flesh that he last saw at the pool. It was not the same kind of trampy outfit like Martin's dress nor that cakey makeup look. Instead, Ariel's dress was beautiful and sophisticated, and her not-over-the-top makeup made her looked flawless. Leon blinked a few times as he beheld the almost unrecognisable plane jane who had just turned into a swan, elegant and heart-achingly beautiful compared to the whorish-looking skank on the sofa, whoever that was. He stood frozen without a word and unable to stop his racing heart pounding madly.

Ariel pursed her lips and tried to look away, uneasy by his drilling stare. Was he upset by her outfit like the last time?

Each time she glanced back at him, his stare shot unspeakable fluttery electrifying currents through her. It wasn't the same kind of stare at Roam but this stare felt different. Was it desire? Ariel placed the shawl over her exposed shoulders yet his eyes refused to leave her. Never mind if she felt uneasy, he was relishing the sight of that beauty.