Chapter 3

* * * * * * *

Michael Sheridan - one of the most popular Hollywood actors. He became famous for his role of the super cop Charlie Chase in the TV series "Charlie". Each season takes place in a different city, in different parts of the world. The name of each season depends on the city where it takes place – "Charlie in L. A.", "Charlie in New York", "Charlie in Las Vegas" ... To be honest, I've watched only one single episode from the first season ("Charlie in L. A."). It wasn't such a big deal to me, it's just not my type of TV product. I know that there have been filmed and aired seven complete seasons and the TV show has been renewed for the eight season. I get this information from Danny, of course, not that I am so interested in it. Actually, I almost never listen to him when he talks about Charlie Chase. I can't blame him – Danny is just three years younger than me, that makes him 22, and he's grown up watching and admiring the show. All these seven seasons so far are equal to seven years. It's quite a lot of time. And Michael Sheridan is the reason why my best friend dropped out of school at the age of 16 – admiring him, Danny wanted to become a superstar. Something like him.

There must have been something like a five minute pause since Danny announced the news that he was going to star in a commercial alongside with Sheridan. Danny's annoying jumping and humming all over the place stops all of a sudden when he sees me grinning at him. I still haven't said anything about the phone call he got.

- Is that all? Just laughing at me? – He loves frowning, if you haven't noticed so far. He's doing it again.

- What... I think you are overreacting... it's like Sheridan just proposed to you... like you two are getting married or something.

- Well, you are... the one to talk, you know... You were saying the other day how handsome and manly he was and... you know.

- Don't get too excited, please.

- Oh, you wish...

- Yeah, okay, whatever. I've said a couple of nice words about him. Big deal.

- Big deal ????? Can you hear yourself talking like that? Michael Sheridan is going to work with ME, and you just said "big deal". Well, I'm not introducing you to him.

- Big deal – I repeat and an innocent smile covers my face, although, at the same time, I feel how I am already jealous of Danny and his opportunity to meet and work with Sheridan. Yes, my best friend is right when he says that I find Michael handsome. He is, indeed. I am not trying to fool anyone. But I also know that he is gay. So, stating the obvious – just like I understand why Danny admires and adores Mike as he's something divine, I expect the same back at him – to understand that Sheridan would never, ever get interested in me. Or in any other women in the world. Period.

I didn't realize how fast my lunch break was spending it with Danny. He walks quickly out of the coffee place where we usually have lunch together and I go back straight to my desk, still watching him hopping down the street, absolutely happy with his life. This makes me smile like an idiot. I don't know why but there's nothing left of my morning grumpy mood. I feel really good and cheerful. Am I thinking of...? No, that's bullshit. I could meet Sheridan whenever I wanted. My mom would never refuse to do such a favour to me. She would even be so happy about it.

As I walk back in the library, I see a group you students who seem to be younger than me, hanging a big and shiny poster on the front door of the building. There's a little wooden table next to them and I can see piles of brochures on top of it. Both on the poster and the brochure has been written the same thing: "An open premiere of Michael Sheridan's autobiography "A welsh lad in the USA". 10th July, 10 a.m., in the main hall of the library". That's all I needed. The entrance for an ordinary citizen would be quite expensive, I'm sure of it, but I know I am able to get a VIP pass. Two, actually. I intend to invite Danny with me and that gives me now the thought of going to the revue with him. If, of course, Paolo gives me the permission to skip my shift. After I clear my thoughts, I walk past the students and take a brochure from the table. I put it in my bag and continue walking to my desk.

The day goes by like a finger flick and so does the day after. I catch myself thinking about the upcoming revue which Danny invited me to join him to. And yet, I still haven't said my word to him.

- Either you're coming with me or I'm taking Sheela – his threatening voice, coming out of the bathroom, makes my grumpy mood come back again. It's late Friday afternoon and I have just got back home from the library.

No, I don't like Sheela. Neither does Danny, if I have to be honest, but both of them make a great couple at parties and events like the upcoming revue. Sheela is nothing like me – she almost never goes back home, sometimes I think she's even homeless, she goes from one party to another without even taking a nap, she drinks like a fifty years old Russian vodka maniac, and to cap it all, she smokes weed – more than she eats food. Perhaps she has sex with people she doesn't even know, I don't know. It's possible.

- Of course I'm coming. There's one condition, though... - I pretend that I'm ready to quit on him and it seems like he's falling for it.

- Yea, you always want something to return the favour.

- I need you to join me to an event, too.

- Hmmm?

- You can see for yourself.

I pass him the brochure and the moment he sees the name of the library written in goldish letters, he shakes his head.

- No way. That's not happening. No, no...

- Even if HE is the host...? - I push my palm aside so Danny can see the picture of Michael Sheridan's perfect smile. I bet I heard Danny's heartbeat going wild when he saw his face.

- You should've started with HIM!

- It wouldn't be interesting if I had...

- Aaaghhhm you and your foxy tricks.

- And there's you with your... raccoonish tricks.

- So, are you coming to the revue?

- Yeah, if Paolo gives me the permission to skip my shift.

- That means we have a deal. An event for an event.

- Yes... almost.

I usually fill my lunch breaks in with reading books instead of having lunch. Today I think I have to change my habit because I need to do some shopping. Thanks God there is a ZARA shop really close to the library. Somehow, I have the feeling that Paolo is about to let me go to the revue...

This feeling fades away the moment I see the furious face of my restaurant boss as I walk in to ask him for permission...