Chapter 12

He's wearing a gorgeous white suit, light-blue shirt with black tie and his hair looks so casual and stylish at the same time that I feel how I want to touch it. I'm all into his look right now that I can't clearly hear what are the others arguing about - perhpas about him being late. And he isn't even looking at me... I immediately remember why - he's not into women. I should put this on sticky notes everywhere in my in handbag and in my bedroom so I won't forget it.

- Okay, okay... I'm late. Big deal. Tell me now why I am here.

- Okay, straight to business - Scott Walters says and clears his throat. The girl that welcomed me brings us some drinks including water, coffee and tea, and silently leaves the hall. - Layla, could you, please, explain to Emma what we discussed earlier today.

Layla is sitting next to me. She has a black folder in front of her.

- Scott wants you to be in the show, as you already know. He's the producer, his oppinion is the most important in our crew but I still need something more to convince me that you are suitable for the role.

- What role? - Michael interrupts her and there's the rudeness again.

- You haven't read the script yet, have you? - Layla asks and I notice in details her movements. She's obviously not in a good mood, perhaps she's abgry, but there are no emotions on her face. Not even in her voice.

- No, not yet. We're filming after the premiere of the book, right?

- Yes, and there's only one week until then - Sally Granger reminds him. She's a good looking middle-aged women with short blonde hair and beautiful green eyes.

- That's pretty enough to me...

- No, it's not. Especially when the cast is not ready yet - it's Layla again. The tone in her voice clearly says that she is done talking to Mike and she doesn't want to be interrupted anymore. She turns to me now. - Emma, could you tell me your age, please?

Why? Doesn't she know it already? What are these questions now?

- I'm 25... does it matter, anyway?

- It matters a lot - she raises her eyebrows. - Do you have any acting experience?

- No, I don't. But if you want to know something about my education - I'd rather not talk about it right now, right here... - I say. I almost say that I don't want to talk in front of Michael. And now I try really hard not to look at him, although all I'm thinking about now is how damn handsome he is and how that makes my palms sweat.

- That is not a problem. You can just make a copy of your diploma and give it to me.

- Okay... what else do you need from me, then? - I look at my watch. It's quarter past five and I must be at the restaurant at seven, so I don't have much time. I have to go back home, to change...

- Well, not much - Layla says and opens the folder. She slides it towards me. - This is the script for the first episode of the show. We start filming in on 12th June. I need you to read it, to know it and to memorize some of the lines.

- But today is the 3rd... and which lines?

- Any of these - she put her perfectly manicured finger to the name "Jane Fox". - Up to 5-6 lines should be enough. You choose which. I know that Scott likes you for the role but you have to understand that this is how I do my job and I need to see something more from you, not just some slapping in the face and arguing with Michael Sheridan.

- You offered the role of Jane to her? - Michael asks as he pushes his chair backwards. He looks a bit angry but I see how this is as shocking to him as it is to me.

- Could anyone, please, explain to me, what is all the fuss about? - I ask loudly because I see how Layla and Michael are about to start an argument. - You ask me some random questions, you give me some random script...

- It's not random - Scott tries to interrupt me but I ignore him.

- You want me to memorize... something... and you haven't even told me what the hell I'm auditioning for? Jane Fox...? Who is she?

- Okay, I'll try to sum up the most important things - Sally Grangers says. She's sitting on my left while Layla is on my right. There's one more person in the hall which voice I haven't heard yet and that's John Meyers, the director. - The new season of "Charlie" must be on TV in September. There are 22 episodes to be filmed. We must have at least half of them by then. That means we start on 12th June. As you already know, Michael Sheridan portrays our main character - Charlie Chase, one of the best cops in the world. So far - so good?

- Yes, I'm familiar with this - I nod.

- The 8th season is here, in London.

- So this means... "Charlie in London" ?

- Correct. Jane Fox is a new character in the plot. She shows up in the first episode. She starts as an intern at Charlie's department. She starts working with him as a regular cop. Have you watched any episodes before?

- No, I haven't.

- I suggest you to do it or at least watch the last seven episodes from the seventh season. There you will see how the connection between Charlie and Jane starts.

- Is she going to be a main character? - I ask hopefully.

- That's our plan.

- This is ridiculous! - Michael stands up shouting at Sally. He turns his back and walks out of the hall.

- Don't mind him, please.

- That would be impossible if I have to work with him - I say. No matter how handsome he is, he remains the jerk from last night. And now I like him even less.

- Once you start working with him - he turns out to be a nice guy - Sally says and I sense some kind of fear in her voice. I see that she already likes me and is afraid of... maybe losing me?

- Here's the conract. I want you to read it carefully before you sign it.

- But I haven't made my decision yet...

- Yes, you have. The moment you agreed to meet with us - there you said "yes". - That's Mr John Meyers. His voice sounds so soft and comforting. I think that was all I needed to make up my mind. And may be that's why he had stayed quiet during the whole meeting - just to use his voice to convince me.

- Okay, I'll give these a read - I say as I get both the contract and the script.

* * * * * *

Two hours later I walk in the restaurant and spot Jim behind the bar. He is not smiling.

- Hey, about last... - I try to say something but he just shakes his head. The waitress from last night comes straight to him without even noticing me and kisses him on the lips.

- Last night was great - she whispers in his ear but loudly enough so I can hear her.

Jim's eyes meet mine but all I can do now is just raising my eyebrows in disbelief and disgust. Now it's my turn to shake my head.