Chapter 8

- Emma, please, calm down - Danny tries to comfort me as we walk outside the restaurant. It's a bit chilly and I shiver. My thin white shirt is not suitable for such low temperatures.

- Don't tell me to calm down. He keeps insulting me...

- He always behaves like this. Just ignore him - Jim says with some kind of anger in his voice. I know that he likes me and he's always been protective of me so this Sheridan guys must have affected him, too.

- What do you mean "he always behaves..."?

- Jim's right. Michael is an asshole. That's just the way he is. He has nothing personal with you, he's just a jerk - Danny exhales and runs his fingers through his perfect hair.

- Don't... you'll ruin it - I try to stop him and take his hand in mine.

We stay there for a couple of more minutes and, as we are ready to walk back inside the restaurant, there's someone waiting next to it.

- Emma, we need to talk - Simon seems really frustrated, perhaps because of  me, but I have no f*cking intention to argue with him right now. I don't like him, I never did - he is the reason for my parents'divorce, but still he's the person who's been making my mom unbelievably happy for 18 years. So I just nod. Danny and Jim are ready to leave us alone when Simon stops them saying they can stay if they want. - It's about your behaviour...

I knew it. He never talks to me about anything besides my behaviour. And not only the tonight's one.

- I'm listening - I say as I wrap my arms around my body.

- Don't talk to me like that, I'm not yor dad...

- And you'll never be. I'm running out of patience, Simon. What do you want from me?

For a couple of seconds he doesn't say a word, just stays still, looking at all of us.

- What you did back there... got the attention of Scott Walters.

- What?

- Do I have to repeat myself? - Simon seems irritated already.

- No, I just don't get your point. I thought you were gonna shout and yell at me... and who the hell is this Scott Walters?

- You don't know who he is??? - Danny can't believe his ears.

- The producer of "Charlie". - Simon seems kinda surprised. At least he's not that angry anymore.

- The producer... of who... of what? What are you talking about, Simon, really?

- The Charlie TV show. The super cop... Charlie Chase. Ringing any bells now?

Ooooh... I finally understand. The TV series with Michael Sheridan. But I still don't get the point of this conversation.

- Okay, what about this Mr Walters? - I try not to sound annoyed but it's hard, really.

- He wants you to be in the cast for the next season of Charlie - Simon says taking a step back and waiting for my reaction.

That... I did not see coming. I thought Simon would be really pissed off for embarassing him and my mom, especially her. And he probably is. But the information he just gave me caught me totally unprepared.

- Did you know about this? - I point at Danny's chest and he shakes his head.

- If I knew - I'd tell you.

- Okay, Emma, I think it's time for all of us to go back in the restaurant. Everyone takes their seat and... no more troubles for tonight, can you do this for... your mom, Emma? - I know he wanted to say "for me" but I'm thankful he didn't. Because if it was for him - I'd get him into even more deep sh*t. Just to have some fun.

- Yeah, sure. But I'm not waitressing for you anymore. I'm staying with Jim behind the bar.

Jim seems genuinly happy about this.

We enter the restaurant and Simon and Danny walk back to their tables as Jim and I go back behind the bar. But there's already someone waiting for us... or just for me.