Chapter 50

Harry

"Harry I need to tell you something."

We got in a quarter of an hour ago and she's been relatively silent ever since.

But I knew this was coming. I knew there was something she wanted to tell me and for one of the first times in this relationship I trusted that she would come to me first rather than me pushing her to.

When we got to her place I decided to put in Notting Hill, something we both love, and get comfortable on the bed. Em immediately came over and started to cuddle me which is very unlike her. Sure we cuddle. It's not like she's cold towards me or anything it's just that this feels different. She's holding onto me a little tighter and her head is pressed on my chest a little more firmly.

There is just this sense in the air that something big is coming and it scares the shit out of me.

Looks like now is the moment.

I lean down and kiss the top of her head. "Hope you know by now that you can tell me anything."

"I know." She says quietly, adjusting her steady hold around my body.

"So what's the problem."

"Just know you're not going to like it."

Well I sort of gathered that.

"Doesn't matter, you just have to tell me."

It's that simple. Say the words, I won't go anywhere, she must know that by now.

Abruptly she sits up and stares forward. I follow suit and lean back on the headboard pulling her back with me.

Thankfully she sets herself under my arm, placing her hand on my chest and fiddling with the fabric of my shirt.

There is no doubt that she can hear my heartbeat increase as I wait for her to continue.

It can't be that bad right? We got over all the heavy stuff a few weeks ago, whatever this could be can't be a hard as hearing she slept with someone else.

"I bumped into Sam today unfortunately."

"Sam?"

Em pulls her head back and looks at me, fear in her eyes. "Him."

I didn't know his name. I never wanted to know honestly. It was better when he was just this lifeless, faceless person. Without any defining details I could stay as far removed from the whole incident as I could but now that I know his name I can't help but create a person in my head.

He's real now and I hate it.

I don't want to run away because of this conversation but if there was ever a time I had the urge to run out of the room and beat the hell out of someone it's right now. I'd come back right after the job was done of course, plop right back into bed and continue this cuddle session.

I really want to hit the fucker.

Trying to remain as calm as I did when we spoke about him in St. Bart's, I take a deep breath and ask the question that I don't want an answer to but need to hear.

"What happened?"

My gaze doesn't waver from her as I watch her gather herself, biting her lip as she searches for the right words.

"It was just after we said goodbye. I watched you walk down the street for a bit–"

"Checking out the fine view babe?" The words fall out of my head before I even have time to think about it. I know it's not at all appropriate but sometimes you just can't break a habit of a lifetime.