Chapter 52

Emma

"As you all know we have our first tournament against Cambridge in about five weeks time so make sure you leave that second weekend in April free." I announce to the roo looking down at the line up sheet in front of me.

I'm always excited about playing Cambridge. They are our biggest rivals and ever since I've been on the team we've crushed them year after year. Can't say I don't have a few enemies on that team. I play hard and talk hard... it's just how I am.

I let Sophia take over discussing the various logistics of the trip, practices before then, and everything else that goes with the team.

"Okay everyone. That's about it for today." I stand up at the table and look out to my polo team.

Honestly it's nice to be back in my element. With school basically over, polo is the only thing really keeping me here and I want to take in all I can, especially the fact that I am able to play as much as I want now.

I thought it would be strange getting back into the swing of things, taking back control of my team in my last semester here but it wasn't.

In fact people were rather happy to see me and even concerned by my abrupt departure.

Felt nice.

"Before we all go I want to take a moment and thank Sophia for taking over in my absence and doing a truly fantastic job at it. She's my right hand lady and I am very pleased to announce that she is my recommendation for next years team captain." And thankfully people clap at my announcement.

Sure they have to vote but if I can sway people's opinion than I will.

I hear a gasp leave her lips next to me. Sophia is surprised but honestly I don't see how, she's the best woman for the job.

"You can't be serious." She questions.

I sit back down as everyone starts to gather their things leave the room. "Deadly serious in fact. I really stuck you in it last month when I left without any notice. You deserve this role... as long as you want it."

Shit what if she doesn't want it?

"Of course I want to do it!" Sophia squeals, giving me a hug. "I can't believe you have that much faith in me."

"You should give yourself more credit Sophia. Your organized, a good player, and people like you–"

"Emma people like you." She tries to reassure me but between me and her it's rather obvious who is the more welcoming person.

"Maybe, but I doubt many of them would chose to go grab a cuppa with me over you."

And as if I orchestrated the whole incident someone comes up to out table and asks Sophia if she wants to grab something to eat.

"You planned that didn't you?" Again Sophia is shocked at the coincidence. I on the other hand can't stop laughing.

"Couldn't plan something as perfect as that."

"Don't believe you one bit," she chuckles, starting to gather her things.

There is something I need to ask her but I really do not want to even bring her up, but I have to.

"So..." I say tentatively, a real feeling of dread seeping through my pores as the words bubble up inside. I had wished the answer would be obvious when I entered the room but it wasn't.. "Has Jessica been around lately?"

At the sound of her name Sophia looks at me with weary eyes. "No. Not once in the last month. You left and so did she."

Then where is she?