iii. cry&smile

❝Even a falling star still shines

Even a falling star still shines.❞ Epik High, Tablo

JUNG YERIN.

yerin was eating some ramen in front of a convenience store when she saw them fighting again.

jackson had a tight grip on her wrist as he dragged her under the lamppost slamming her back in the hard metal.

"j-jackson. . ." she cringed upon hearing her whimpers.

"didn't i fucking tell you to not talk with sunshine boy anymore? huh? huh?!"

"he's the dance class' senior jackson! i need to talk to him about my performance for tomorrow! you know i wouldn't talk to him if it wasn't importan -!"

slap. yerin knocked over her ramen in shock. (which she hastily cleaned up with paper towel rolls.)

jackson just slapped her hard in the face in public. the convenience store owner seemed to notice what was happening outside and was now listening to the argument happening outside.

jackson grabbed eunbi's face harshly and spoke roughly, "if i see you talking to that fucking boy again let see what's going to happen to you. i'm sleeping at your dorm room tonight, sleep in the streets or whatever. you're useless anyway." she nodded and kept her head down. jackson sneered and made his way to the dormitories.

yerin stood up and exited the convenience store and approached the crying girl.

". . . want some ramen?" she asked quietly and eunbi looked up to her in such a pitiful way she almost cries at the sight of her. "

. . . you know what? that wasn't a question. i'm buying you ramen since you look hungry. c'mon." eunbi followed her without any question, face shining with tears under the convenience store's bright lights.

"chicken or kimchi?" she asked when they reached the ramen section. ". . .kimchi." she answered quietly.

at least we're talking now.

making her way to the lady in the counter to pay, the owner shook her head and told her she needs it and gives both of them a bottle of strawberry milk.

after she's done making the ramen she gave it to eunbi and both of them sat where she was sitting earlier, eunbi taking a seat beside her eating the ramen.

"thank you. . ."

"no problem." she smiled and the two fell into comfortable silence.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"you're coming with me." yerin chased after her and softly touched her wrist to stop her from walking so fast. "w-what. . .?" she spluttered.

"i said you're coming with me. i won't let you sleep out here in this hour, it's too dangerous. so you're sleeping at my dorm room tonight. don't worry," she adds after seeing the look on her face. "you'll sleep in the bed and i'll take the floor. so you can be comfortable."

". . .i can sleep in the floor. . ."

"no no! you're a guest so you're sleeping at my bed tonight. and also do your projects while you're there so you won't have to worry about it tomorrow since he wouldn't let you. . ." she trailed off. "anyway! you can also practice your performance at my room, there's not much room but you can dance all you want there." she continued smiling at the younger girl in front of her.

"okay." eunbi answered flashing a small smile. "let's go then!" yerin said cheerfully said and intertwined their hands together.

while walking to the dormitories, yerin scolded eunbi for trying to walk alone in the dark wherein she can accompany her.

eunbi smiled and answered that she won't walk alone anymore. yerin patted her head as a sign of agreement.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

when they reached their floor, both of them went up the stairs quickly and quietly, scared to attract jackson's attention. yerin unlocked her room's front door and ushered eunbi aside while she locked the door.

". . . this is nice." eunbi commented at the spacious room. "you've got a nice dorm room."

"it's only nice since sojung eonnie comes here every saturday or sunday to check if i'm not dying - shoes of please." she answered, putting her and eunbi's shoes in the small cupboard. "you want some snacks? my cousin gave me a lot when he went to gwangju last weekend."

"i'm okay." she answered and followed yerin to her room. yerin hummed and tossed her a sweatshirt and some sweatpants that she took from her cabinet. "use those. you can change at the bathroom over there." she pointed at the small bathroom door. "you must be uncomfortable on those jeans. and uhh. . . here's your underwear, if you. . . need some."

"thank you." eunbi took the garment on yerin's hands and smiled, making her way to the bathroom.

when eunbi came out of the bathroom, she saw yerin doing something on her laptop while snacking on some seaweed.

". . .why are you at the floor."

"the floor's comfy."

they looked at each other.

". . .okay. . ."

"i think. . . you're wondering if i'm mentally impaired or something. . ."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"i'm gonna sleep now eunbi. got to wake up early tomorrow." yerin told her. shutting her laptop off and putting it in her schoolbag along with a bunch of notebooks.

"why are you waking up so early tomorrow? it's saturday right?" eunbi asked, looking up from her laptop.

"drama audition. you know, all that stuff. tvn and mbc wanted me to audition so why not." yerin answered turning off the light and flicking the lamp open. "if you're gonna sleep just turn the lamp off to save electricity. okay?" eunbi nodded and yerin smiled at her.

yerin tucked herself in a bunch of blankets and held a pillow close to her. she was about to sleep when eunbi called her name.

"yerin eonnie. . ."

"'s there something you need?"

"no. . . just. . . thank you."

yerin yawned and said sleepily, "anything for you."

she could've sworn eunbi gave her a smile before she slept the night away.