17: Protect (Nate)

"Alright, today's the day! You coming?" Nate asked excitedly, turning to look at you from the doorway to the entry room. You were sitting on the couch with your legs to your chest, head resting on your knee, staring at the dark fabric beneath you with a pained look on your face that you didn't realize was there. God, why did everything revolve around you? Why- how had you become such a nuicance? Nate seemed to take notice, especially since you didnt respond, and he quickly and carefully walked over to you, scooping you up and breaking you out of your thoughts.

"Hey, hey, what's wrong?" He said softly, holding you about a foot from his face.

"Nothing, I'm just... super tired." You lied. It was somewhat true, you were tired from last night, it had been kind of late. That just wasn't the reason you felt awful.

"I'm sorry, I guess last night did go a little late, huh? I'll make sure we get to sleep on time tonight." He replied, and looked like he was about to continue, but your mind started rambling beofre he could get anything out.

"No, no, it's fine, sorry I'm such a nuisance, and a pain, and... I get really rambly when I'm tired, so don't pay attention to anything I just said." You had to stop yourself before you went any faster, or further. Nate didn't say anything for a long moment, and you just sat there, cursing every word you just said.

"It's not sleep, is it?" Nate said calmly, though worry was written on his face as he sat down on the couch, keeping you in his palm awaiting your response.

"I- I'm just tired, okay? Can we go now?" You answered hurriedly, pulling your knees closer to your chest, burying your face in the fabric of your leggings.

"Sorry, sorry. How about you just sit in my pocket? You can sleep if you're... tired." He said softly, rubbing your back, and then gently set you in his pocket as he stood up. You could hear the sigh echo through his chest. Now this was exactly what you didn't want. To cause even more fuss than normal.

You could tell Nate was more worried than normal, his strides were quick and unevenly paced, making the ride more than a little bumpy. You didn't mind, but it was off from his normal walk- though that may have been due to the fact that today was a huge recording day as well.

He climbed into the car, and hesitated before lightly closing the door, and turning on the radio. As Nate did his warm-ups, and sang with the radio, your anxiety seemed to slowly fade away. His singing seemed to have that effect on you. He began to sing some of his own songs, and that's when you fully calmed down. His soft voice, to his harsher songs. The radio was off, but you could still hear the electric guitar in the background.

---------VROOM TIME SKIP-----------

"She's... not feeling the greatest today, so she might not be able to do it. We- we'll work it out though, everything will work out, I'm sure." You heard Nate reply to a crew member. He must've been talking about the new actor coming in today specifically for the shoot. You and Nate had worked out a way to introduce you to him, but he must've assumed you weren't up for it. His assumption was incorrect.

"Yeah, but-" Unnamed crew member was interrupted.

"Besides, she might come around later, you never know." You could hear a slight bit of mischeif in his voice, so you wondered if he knew something you didn't. You felt Nate walk away as you heard a light sigh from unnamed crew member. You thought about possibly naming unnamed crew member, but you were interrupted.