23: Startle (Mark)

Alright, this was a requested chapter, so hope I did well AskTheMisfitsGT ! Hope you all enjoy, it was a pretty great idea (Sorry it I took so long 😖)

"Lunch time." You heard the drone of your caretaker call out over your head. You would've seen him as well, but you were huddled in the far corner of the small enclosure that was specifically yours to get away from everyone else. You heard all the other future pets scurry toward the food, and you pushed yourself further away from the noise as you heard them shoving each other into the outer walls of your safe space. You couldn't even try to get out there if you wanted,you would just be quickly shoved back inside, and you didn't need any more bruises than you already had. You had learned from your previous owner that nobody in this world cared about you anyways, so why even bother making life worse than it already is? Ever since the age of 7, when you were dumped here, you'd just kind of existed. Everyone's eyes seemed to pass over you and to the more energetic borrowers in the cage.

The bell of the shop door opening drew you out of your thoughts, as the scuffling outside stopped and everyone quickly spread out, making it easier for who ever came in to see their 'choices.' Or so you'd been taught. You sighed, standing up carefully and pushing the door open to your small room, kicking it closed as you went to the corner you always did, at the far back of the enclosure. You could be seen from there, just not well. It was pointless anyways. You tried being seen for about 2 years, but everyone just walked right past you.

After everyone in front of you finally stopped moving, you managed to get a sight of the man who had walked in. He was wearing a black shirt with a silver M in the corner, with black skinny jeans and running shoes. His hair- a deep black- was parted on the far side of his head, bouncing in front of his eyes as he looked over at your enclosure through glinting glasses. (*cough* picture *cough*)

He paused for a moment, taking a quick glance around the shop before moving toward your group

He paused for a moment, taking a quick glance around the shop before moving toward your group. As his figure grew taller, he loomed overtop the cage staring down at everyone curiously. You watched him intently, hugging your knees to your chest and watching him quickly inspect each of the candidates before moving on. The small smile of sympathy on his face seemed kind and welcoming.

But you knew looks could be deceiving.

His eyes landed on you a few moments later, and you looked back into his warm chocolate eyes cautiously. He seemed to pause as he looked down at you, before nodding lightly and moving toward the counter at the back of the shop. Waitwaitwait, he wasn't buying you was he? Not again, you weren't ready-

But obviously none of that really mattered, did it.

It didn't stop the hand from coming in and grabbing you, and your squeaks of protest did nothing to the the emotionless clerk.

You were briskly shoved into a small plastic box, and it was shut with a loud click just above your head, and handed to your new owner.

"Have a nice day!" You heard his muffled voice through the plastic as the bell signalled your departure. Your box became a jumbled mess of vibrating noise- cars, people, wind- it made you long for the silence of your quiet and safe enclosure back in the shop. You could reclaim it once you were dumped back there again. You just wondered how many years it would be this time.

You were shaken out of your thoughts as your owner lifted you to eye level.

"Hi! I'm Mark. What's your name?" He asked, his voice bouncing off of the enclosure. Mark was grinning, and you noticed his hand was beneath the box, supporting it, rather than gripping it with a full fist. It was a small thing, but... just another thing to try and convince you he was kind.
You wouldn't fall for it again.

Curling up into a ball rather than responding, Mark's eyes furrowed in worry... he had to do better if you were going to think it was genuine though. He nodded and smiled lightly, lowering you back down to waist height and not bothering you anymore. You assumed he was bringing you back to the shop for a more energetic pet as you felt the ride get bumpier, but you just buried your face further and further into the crook in your knees, anything to escape whatever torment lie ahead, whether from the shop or Mark.

After a couple mintues, the movement stopped, and you stayed rigid for a few more moments.

"Hey, umm, we're home if you want to come out. Don't push yourself though." You heard Mark's deep voice from across the room... soft and comforting. Maybe you should give him a shot.

Lifting your head, you opened your eyes, looking to try and see anything clearly through the foggy plastic. That was impossible though. From the blobs you could make out, you assumed that this was the living room, or at least something that looked like it. Standing up slowly, you looked for Mark, but he seemed to have left the room. That was, until he popped open the top of your box. You let out a small squeak as you fell backwards, pushing the box with you in a small thud, knocking the air out of your lungs.

"Omigod, I'm so sorry, are you okay?" Mark asked quickly, pure concern the only emotion you could hear in his voice. You lay there for a moment, regaining your breath, before pulling yourself out of the box and on to the stone countertop.

"Y-yeah..." You said, still regaining your breath. Mark pulled away the discarded container and threw it in to the recycling, before coming back to sit at the counter. Now able to see properly, you sat up crosslegged, looking around. You were in an open concept kitchen; you hadn't been wrong, just kind of wrong. There was a couch across the room from you, along with a TV and love-seat to accompany it. You turned back to Mark, who seemed to be watching you curiously.

*flashback*

Your 'master' watched you curiously as you tried to find a way out of the huge iron cage he'd set you in. All he had left you with was a small ragged, uncomfortable shirt that was barely long enough to cover your body.

Inside the cage, there was an array of sharp objects: knives, wire brushes, nails. The floor was even a tight wire mesh, making every step you took worse than the last.

"Let me out, why are you doing this?!" You cried out. Master only chuckled in response, twirling the key around his finger.

*flashback over*

You shut your eyes quickly, curling back up into your protective ball as you felt the sting of tears in your eyes.

"If you're going to hurt me, j-just get it over with!" You shouted, rubbing the slowly forming tears from your eyes. You heard a small gasp from Mark.

"No- I would never hurt you! I went in there looking for a friend, not a pet." Mark replied softly, and you heard movement near your sides, though nothing happened. Opening your eyes, through your tears you saw a sympathetic Mark, and to your right... an open palm. Your eyes opened, a silent tear falling down your cheek. You started stuttering, searching for words, before Mark cut you off.

"I understand if you need time to get used to me, but... maybe we could be friends? Whatever happened... we could work through it together- if you wanted." Mark looked down at you hopefully. He seemed so... pure. There wasn't the glint of malicious intentions you had seen in master, or the psychotic chuckle when you gave into one of his schemes.

You slowly uncurled from your ball, standing up weakly. Your body was screaming for you to sit back down, but your mind said otherwise. You took your steps quickly, before you changed your mind. Settling yourself in Marks palm, you just hoped you weren't wrong about him.

"Y/N. I'm... Y/N."

A/N, it's done! Finally. I'm actually really happy with how this came out, so I hope you are too!

Thanks for reading!

PJO out.

.