19: Cooking (Camp Camp)

Warning, this chapter contains a lot of swearing so... you can skip this if it's not your thing.

Thank god, a building. You managed to climb your way out of the brush as you set foot on the flat dirt. What even was this place? It looked almost like a camp ground... okay, maybe this wasn't a great idea. You needed shelter though. Direly. It'd been a week since your last owner dumped you in the woods. He said he was 'returning you to your natural habitat,' but that was complete bullshit. You made your way to the large building in the centre of camp, and quickly found a small hole to slip through, making your way inside. It was... a mess hall. In all it's glory. Though, that would work perfectly for a place to stay, just meant it would probably be a bit loud. The kids will be controlled, and you'd be left alone... theoretically. The kitchen looked to be to the left, so you headed that way, and found the remains of the last meal, which you assumed was lunch.

You ate some food from the trays, but didn't take any with you, after all, you were planning on staying for a while. You climbed back to the floor, which was simple seeing as there were so many dents and scratches. It was a little scary, but easy enough. You found a tucked away corner on the opposite side of the room, and checked for small caverns, one to store some stuff and probably stay the night. There was a good sized hole, with an entrance just as tall as you were, so you checked around inside and it seemed like a good fit. You were just about to leave your hole, when the huge main doors burst open.

"Nikki leave your sticks outside, no don't just drop them!" A woman's voice shouted, and loud noise filled the room, the footsteps of way too out of control children shaking the floor boards beneath you violently. You backed quickly into the far corner of your hole, which did not feel far enough away from the opening, but it would have to do. You were not stepping foot outside this hole.

"Nurf, put Preston down, it's lunch!" You heard a man's voice this time, still shouting. How many kids were out there? Obviously you were wrong saying they might possibly be contained. You heard some footsteps getting dangerously close, and you tried to hide in what little space you had. You hadn't realized this earlier, but the hole didn't have much in the way of wall space. More like a tunnel, which was strange, and also awful for your situation. The footsteps got closer, and you could feel the slivers in the wooden wall behind you pressing uncomfortably into your back, and you could feel your heart rate quicken. The footsteps stopped an inch from your door. And a spoon skittered through the open hole in the wall, and stopped. Right at your feet.

"Woops! Better get this spoon I dropped." You heard a young girl say, and you could easily tell it wasn't an accident. You thought about kicking the spoon away, but that would just tell her you were here. A hand began to reach into the hole, and the fingertips brushed the spoon, nudging it into your calves. The digits began to explore, first going to your right, and sweeping the back wall. You felt your heart beating in your throat as the fingertips made it to the wall next to you, and then brushed the side of your leg.

The hand stopped, and you jumped at the touch, landing on the spoon and sending it skidding toward the hole as you fell onto the hand. Almost instantly the hand was around your waist, trapping your arms against your chest in a very uncomfortable position. She pulled you out of the hole, hitting your head against the upper edge as she did so, and into the bright room.

The girl brought you up to chest height, which didn't seem too far. She looked pretty young, around 10. She had mid back length striking blue hair, and an outfit that showed she wasn't a girly girl. That was both terrifying and hopeful.

"Woah! Hey guys I found a person!" Her eyes widened as she shouted to the others, and you felt the stress on your ears and winced. Instantly, there were at least 10 kids surrounding you, and you shut your eyes tightly, trying to block out any sort of noise that was currently killing your eardrums. You managed to get your arms out from her grasp, and covered your ears tightly, looking up at her, trying to ask without saying anything.