21: Trepidation (Jack) Part 1

A/N- Aight, I'm gonna open this the same way as my other book:

"Trepidation, *cough cough cough*
[Is] a feeling of fear or agitation about something that may happen."

Everyone ready? Good.

Alright, just a day of travel, it's not that bad. It's not like you were walking through a giant infested part of trail or running from an old home. It's not like you were terrified at the thought of possibly walking this route, especially in the middle of the night. Nope, not at all.

Grass blades rattled as you passed them, brushing against your tunic and pack with a soft hiss.

No, the wind didn't make it sound like giants were everywhere. It didn't feel like you were walking right to your death, no. A root appeared in front of you, and you climbed over it, shaking lightly when you saw how tall the tree attached to it was.

You began to walk past roots more often as the trees grew closer together, leading you to take a winding path around the ones that were too tall to climb.

By this point, the sky was darkening, and your legs ached, pack weighing heavily on your back. Leaves rustled next to you- wait. There wasn't a breeze... was there? The rustling came from a bush to your right. It was about double your height, which seemed oddly small, but by the looks of it, it wasn't really a normal bush.

Carefully edging toward it, you reached out, brushing your hand up against one of the 'leaves,' and it seemed oddly soft. The leaves lay in streaks piled on top of on another, fluffy as if by mass, rather than rigidity, or uncomfortable cores. This 'bush' was soft, and the leaf you had touched split into several strands, mimicking... hair. It was very unsettling. You let go of the 'hair' in your hand and turned to leave, but your body said refused to move.

Your legs didn't seem to be moving, and the bush did seem oddly soft... it looked so fluffy and comfortable. You decided to take a step toward it, and your legs moved with you this time. You were just... so tired... it seemed so inviting. It's light shade of green made it seem harmless, you just wanted to lie down on it.

In a quick moment, your pack was on the ground and you were lying on the soft hair bush thing. It seemed so unnatural, but your body just wanted to shut down. You kept forcing the thought away as you struggled to keep your eyes open.

Then you shifted. Not actually you though, the substance beneath you shifted. It began to pull out from underneath you, and adrenaline began to pump through your body as you scrambled to your feet. You backed up into the tall blades of grass as you stared at the slowly growing creature, or what you had assumed to be a bush. You wanted to run- your mind was practically screaming at you- but your body screamed back, having an internal fight as you tried to concentrate on not dying.

The bush creature continued to rise as you slowly moved away, glancing around to see any near hiding spots. The creature stopped moving, and from what you could see, it was a rather human looking figure. Seemed to be wearing a sweater and ripped jeans if your experience told you anything, but that also meant it would want to kill you more than the average creature- seeing as it was probably a human. The battle between whether to run or whether to hide was instantly won as the figure began to turn around, sending a huge thud echoing through the forest above you.

Snatching your pack from the ground, you threw it onto your pack as you started to run, not able to go at full speed, adrenaline helping just enough to keep you moving. More echoes, followed by some mumbles you couldn't decipher. You pushed your way through countless blades of grass, not caring where you were going as long as it was away.