30: Freedom (Dark + Anti )

So there was this tradition

Yes, I know, it sounds like the start of a horror movie, but let's hope not.

Because it's the start of your story.

Now, the day is October 30th. Yes, the day before Halloween, but also pretty much the most dreaded day of your entire town; and sadly I'm not exaggerating. It felt like an ordinary day to just about the rest of the planet, but in the small region of Béagan you could almost see the purple smog of dread floating in the air. The people walked through the town like aimless zombies, near silent except for the shuffling of footsteps echoing through deserted alleyways and narrow streets.

What were you doing you ask? Well it was 10 o'clock in the morning, and you had just hopped the fence into your backyard. The house just behind yours was abandoned, so whenever you could you got up early to take your sketchbook in it's overgrown walls for a couple of hours. No you didn't sneak out for bad things, get your mind out of the gutter!

The only thing the town tells you is that "one person is sent to keep the whole town safe," but rumours in this town circulate faster than the roadrunner's legs. "They're just keepin' us under their boot!" is one of your personal favourites, same with "They're sacrificing us to the demons of the north!" which was shouted by a man flailing his arms and running around town square like a madman, five minutes before last years ceremony. Let's just say you don't think the choice is very random. 

You slipped through the sliding glass door and back into the house, before immediately running into your mother

"What'd I tell you about going to that broken down house Y/N, it's dangerous!" She shook her head, looking you over for injury before giving a nonverbal all clear and continuing on her way. 

How considerate of you Mom. 

You jogged up the stairs and into your room, sliding into your desk chair and spinning around a couple times before planting your feet on the ground and setting your laptop on your already cluttered desk, before you heard your Mom shouting from the bottom of the stairs.

"Don't... don't forget about the ceremony today!" As if she wanted to forget it ever happened. You knew fully well what day it was, but quickly shouted back. 

"Thanks Mom, I won't forget!" Like anyone in this town could ever forget.

You opened your laptop, quickly opening YouTube. It wasn't often these days your eyes weren't glued to the screen, laughing, crying, or shouting along with whoever you were watching; most often Markiplier and Jacksepticeye. Though... today's videos seemed a little off. It was glitchy, but not just normal Anti or Dark glitches. Like actual YouTube or even your laptop being glitchy. Needless to say you were a little frustrated when your Mom came to the door. 

"Knock knock, it's time to go Y/N." Her voice broke you from your concentration, making you jump.

"I'll be down in a second." You huffed. You didn't want to leave the video half watched if you had to go, but you were convinced they'd just take another one of the insane old people at the ceremony again. Nevertheless, you shut down your laptop, giving your room one last look- just in case.

Slipping out of your room, you closed the door behind you with a click. It sounded uncomfortably final, but you tried to shake it off as you headed down the stairs. It'd be over as soon as it started anyways, right? 

Your Mom had already gotten ready, waiting at the front door for you in a tense silence, clutching her purse with rigid arms. You weren't exactly in a talking mood at the time, so you slipped on your shoes without any sound other than a soft sigh from your Mom, and the light breeze just outside the door. You exchanged a wordless nod, and she opened the door, letting you pass and locking it behind herself.