31: Wings (Mark)

Pressure. You're struggling to breathe, the tension seeming to intensify over your waist and building under the skin on your back. Vision blurry, you can vaguely feel yourself struggling for freedom as dark shapes shift through your vision. "Let go of me!" Your voice is hoarse, shouts seeming to go no where as your ribs start to ache. "What do you-"

"-want!" You sit bolt upright, voice a soft shout as your eyes shoot open. The sun is warm on your shoulders, dewy grass cool against your neck as you tentatively brush it away, sighing lightly.

Waitwaitwait neck?!

You suddenly stand up, head darting around as you finally take in your surroundings. The grass stands at your waist, and everything around you is just more and more telling of your new size, which if you had to guesstimate, is around 6 inches tall. The houses nearby look like mountains, the trees in their yards like never ending pillars of branches and leaves.

You start to move toward the street, feeling the grass brush along your wings as you push through- um wings? No, no you don't have wings, wings are for like, fairies and stuff... right? You turn your head, trying to see them, and awkwardly turn around as you try and get a better look, before realizing you're just making a fool of yourself. Besides, if you really can feel with them, shouldn't you just be able to,,, tell them? You cautiously close your eyes, mentally searching for a new feeling as you try and move your supposed wings. A moment later, you feel something brush your shoulder, and your eyes flash open, a soft translucent blue dragonfly wing now settled next to your arm. Slowly, you reach out to brush it with your hand, flinching at the feeling but continuing to run your hand over the almost glassy surface.

Busy being entranced, it seems reasonable that a loud snap of a twig from down the street makes you jump, instantly turning toward the sound. You can hear a voice and footsteps following it, soon joined by your rising heart rate beating through your ears. The urge to just say "Sir M'am person can we not do this right now? I'm kinda busy being confused, not totally down for the whole, panic thing, yeah thanks" but unfortunately that's not an option.

Your body seems to think there's another one though, while your mind is busy worrying about the person a little ways down the road, you feel your feet lift off the ground. Thoughts quickly shifting, you look to see your wings flitting gracefully behind you, and sure your body might think they're the perfect escape mechanism, but you still have no idea how to use them! You look around as your panic starts to increase, kicking at the ground in an attempt to get down, but you can't seem to get out of this one. Alright fine wings, have it your way. Looking for somewhere else to be, you glance around, settling on just a rather wide tree nearby that you can just hide behind until it's safer. Now just to... get there.

You attempt to direct your flight, and slowly start to move up. Okay, progress, great! Suddenly your head snaps up. A loud deep laugh sounds far too close for your liking, and your anxiety starts to kick in, wings moving faster and continuing upward. You squeak at the acceleration, holding your hands out as you start to see a tree branch you'd consider earlier quickly approaching. Hardly slowing down, your hands hit the bark and you dig your fingers into the ridges in the wood, attempting to convince your new wings to chill the fuck out for a sec.

For once, it seemed like they felt like listening, slowing to a stop and leaving you basically stranded and clinging to a tree branch. Maybe not the best situation, but hidsight is always 20-20. Despite your maybe less than ideal decisions, time is in fact still moving, and the voice is rapidly approaching, now further beneath you, along with a lot of rustling you hadn't noticed.

"Chica? What is it girl ya see somethin?" In any other situation the playful voice would've made you smile, but you weren't quite in the mood to say hi right now, much less appreciate a cute dog. You're basically hugging the tree at this point when you feel it shake slightly, only making you hold on tighter. You shift forward a bit to get a better grip, and you finally lay eyes on the voice. You can't help but try and look closer; that black floof looks so familiar. The person beneath you starts to investigate more, and suddenly you lock eyes.