Chapter 58- The Blood of the Conquerer

NED'S POV

I stood in the heart of the battle, blood covered me from head to toe. Around me men fell with each passing second, some Targaryen and some of my own. A moment ago Robert was beside me on horse back, now he had disappeared.

I had seen the Prince, on his white noble steed, taking down men with each swing of his sword. He looked strong, like he could win this battle. But, compared to Robert he was nothing.

To think that he had taken my sister angered me to the core, but as I took down each Targaryen soldier I couldn't help but think about the letter I had found. Did Lyanna want to leave with him? Or was it true, that he had taken her against her will? I didn't want to believe any of it.

So, like any true friend, I did what Robert asked, which was to defeat the Prince who had kidnapped my sister.

Breaking me from my thoughts, a young knight ran towards me, sword in hand, ready to attack. I quickly raised my sword and in an instant he was on the floor, dying in a pool of his own blood.

Men came at me from all around, but each of them fell.

The men who fought for the Prince were weak, all our men were already battle hardened. Though, they did try their best.

"Robert!" I shouted as I took out some men. I needed to know where he was, we had planned to protect each other, but he was gone.

I pushed through the piles of men, swinging my sword for each Targaryen fighter. We had crushed the Dornish forces, taking down ten thousand men, allowing us to have the upper hand. We fought in the stream, just on the bank and at the heart of the crossing, where the stream was shallow.

I cut down the men that went for me, allowing me to getting deeper and deeper into the battle. This was where Robert would be, he wanted the Prince, and he knew just where to look.

Then, as if my mind had imagined it, I saw Prince Rhaegar and his men. I watched as the bannermen surrounded him, trying their best to protect their Prince. His helmet was off, allowing his silver hair to cascade over his armour, which was covered in rubies; representing his house as if he was covered in Dragon scales. He fought like a warrior, fast and agile.

But, his bannermen were failing him, each one falling to one of Roberts men. The Stark men weren't anywhere near him, they were on the far right, meaning I was the only Stark in his range of attack.

Barristan Selmy fought only a few meters away from him, killing easily each man that ran toward him.

Some soldiers ran toward me, seeing me as a threat to their Prince, but I quickly took them down with a strike of my sword.

I watched the Prince intently as I neared him, wondering what was going on in his mind. If I could get close enough, would I have the strength to take him down? He was upon his horse, allowing him an advantage against me. But, would he see me coming.

As if he had read my mind the Prince's eyes landed on me. He stopped what he was doing and allowed his violet eyes to look into mine. We had met before, but only briefly, and I had seen them very eyes before. They didn't look wicked like the stories that were told about him, but he had taken Lyanna, and he had yet to give her back.

His eyes were analysing me, as if he was comparing me to something within his brain.

I took a step forward and raised my sword, as if it was some sort of small threat. But, he simply gave me a gracious nod and then turned his head and carried on fighting.

I stood watching, my sword lowering to the ground. And then, as if by chance, I heard the call of the Prince's name.

A booming voice it was, the voice of someone I had grown up with. The voice that anyone could recognise. Roberts voice. I turned to see him charging from the left, he sat upon his war horse and was racing toward him, with his hammer in hand.