Once Upon A Time

June 18, 1993

Sofia hummed ‘To the Nines’ while she dressed for her first Paisley Park concert. A new college grad with a teaching contract as her trophy, she had two months of fun and freedom before new teacher orientation began. Checking her rear view in the full length mirror, she was happy to see the sheer part of the black tank dress she was wearing started low enough that her wonderfully curvaceous backside was modestly covered, while her legs looked miles long through the sheer fabric. At five feet two, that was a welcome illusion. Adjusting the extra long necklace that dropped between her breasts, she made sure the pendant drew attention to her small waist. That studious look is OVER. She smiled at her reflection and headed out the door.

Being a determined student working for, and achieving, valedictorian status in both high school and college, she hadn't taken time out for clubbing. Her extensive Prince collection had been her escape mechanism, study soundtrack, and solace when she was lonely. Seeing him live was a dream come true. She had done the work. It was time to start her life.

She  locked the door to her apartment. I can't believe I'm going on my own. She was hoping to make some friends among other Prince fans. If not, I'll enjoy dancing at my favorite musician’s concert.

She parked her 1989 Toyota Corolla, locked the door, and secured the key in the tiny crossbody purse she was wearing. It held only the essentials for a night of dancing.  Joining the group of people waiting in line for entry to Paisley Park, she looked forward to meeting the other young women lining up with her, obviously ready for a night of fun.

‘I'd love to be his next girlfriend,’ said a busty blonde in line in front of her, ‘but there's no hope of that. He's dating two or three girls right now. Nona Gaye, Carmen Electra, Anna Fantastic, there's no competing with girls as amazing as that. A girl can dream, though.’

‘Wow,’ replied Sofia, ‘I had no idea. ‘I don't keep up with the latest Prince news, I just listen to his music.’

‘I'll bet his is the only music you listen to, isn't it,’ interjected a beautiful brunette behind her. ‘He's the only one who does it for me. It's like he really gets what turns us women on, you know?’

As Sofia was nodding her agreement, a huge man in a suit walked up to them. His clothing and earpiece clued Sofia in to his job as security. Looking only at her, he asked, ‘Miss, would you mind coming with me? There's someone who would like to meet you.’

The girls on either side squealed, ‘Ooh! You're the chosen one!’ while Sofia just nodded, too stunned for speech. Following him out of line, she was guided around the back of the facility, and escorted into a side door. She found herself in a corridor lined with large photos of Prince in different stages of his career. Opening a door, the man led her into a smaller room with informal furniture, indicated a sofa, and said, ‘Wait here.’ After he watched her sit down, he closed the door and left her alone.

Sofia sat down on the sofa, putting her hands primly in her lap. Her Greek mother and Louisiana grandmother would have her hide if she touched anything in someone else's home. She looked around, taking in details of the comfortable decor. This was obviously a private area, with multiple guitars and an electronic keyboard set up ready to play.

Sofia was craning her neck to take in the settings on the keyboard when the door opened and Prince sauntered in, dressed to the nines in a suit of deep purple silk and shirt with huge Battenberg lace trimmed collar and cuffs. The shirt was cut rather low, exposing a field of chest hair and toned butterscotch skin. His hair was wildly tousled on top of his head, and the finger waves on the sides reminded her of her Louisiana grandmother.  She stifled a giggle at the thought of her grandmother with Prince's hairdo, and rose to say hello.