Wait, what?

I hope you enjoy this overdue chapter. Ghosts and lurkers, come out in the summer sun to comment and vote! Everyone's welcome to the party!

Man, that didn't go the way I planned. She was supposed to feel triumphant after telling Mrs. Watts she was finally marrying the man she'd always loved. Instead, she felt sorry for Mrs. Watts, obviously uncomfortable sharing decisions she had clearly been ordered to deliver. Decisions that probably did not include her input at all. It was obvious that Sheila was there to make sure the message was delivered the way the school board and Administration felt it should be. She mentally shook her head at the ridiculousness of it all. Guess they felt they needed to act, since someone was having a good time. Fun suckers.

'Where in the world are you going?'

A familiar, friendly voice. Just what Sofia craved after an embarrassing meeting.

Turning, she saw her friend Jennifer, arms outstretched for their usual morning hug. She walked right into it, enjoying the familiar comfort of a friend's positive energy. Typically, she was giving positive energy to Jennifer, who tended to sound depressed most of the time. Her own personal Eyore in the guise of a work friend.

'Nice tan, girl! That was you I saw on tv!' Jennifer ended the convivial moment with a big smile. Older than Jennifer by several years, she had chosen comfort over exercise and fashion several years prior. She had on her winter uniform of black pants and a solid lavender long sleeved t shirt, her 'painting apron' tied around her middle-aged spread. Obviously it was a watercolor day in Art. Her naturally curly blond hair surrounded her head like an unkempt halo.

'Yes, it was. I've got some news I'd like to share later. Can I give you a call after school?'

'Sure! I hope it's Prince news. Oh, I'm sorry,' she continued, realizing she'd been ignoring Kirk. 'Are you Sofia's new boyfriend? I think I saw you in the photos, too, didn't I? It was nice of Prince to include you in his tropical vacation.' The envy in her voice was palpable. Jennifer had heard it before, typically when a teacher who wasn't Jennifer received recognition at school. Things could, and often did, get unpleasant in private after that kind of announcement was made..

Sofia interrupted before Kirk had a chance to refute her assumption. 'I'll tell you all about it this afternoon,' she said with a wink and a smile.

'But, where are you going?' Jennifer looked puzzled. 'We're finally back at school!'

'I have some things I need to to take care of,' Sofia replied, intentionally vague. 'Mrs. Pryor is subbing; she always does a great job. I'll call this afternoon, I promise!'

'Okay, then. We'll talk soon,' Jennifer remarked, turning to a kindergarten student who was wrapping himself around her knees. 'Byron, you need to go finish your breakfast, honey.'

Sofia took that opportunity to hustle back to the door. Kirk poked his head out, then motioned Sofia toward him. 'The vultures have left. Let's get back to Paisley.'

Safely back in the now freezing cold car, Kirk caught Sofia's eye in the rear view mirror. 'What did she mean, Prince news?'

'Jennifer has been a fan of Prince forever. She has all the recordings, has attended multiple concerts. She has no idea of my history with Prince; she just knows I'm also a fan.'

'She seemed a little too excited about Prince to me. One of those scary fans who could cross the line. I'd be careful of that one, Sof. She sounded jealous that you got to go.'

'That's why I wanted to have that conversation on the phone. I need to call Auntie Vi, today, as well. Prince says the ceremony will be in two weeks. Time to get things rolling!'