First Date Reboot

'You mean the Mechanical Tree? Certainly, Sir! Come this way.' The hostess, whose wildly untamed natural hair made a nice contrast with her button down blouse, crew necked sweater embroidered with Scottie dogs, and plaid pants, led them through a side door and out to a pink and green Ferris Wheel. Instead of typical seats, it had what looked like birdcages for people, with bench seating inside. Once they were seated, the hostess gave them a large fleece blanket and two hot chocolates lightly spiked with peppermint vodka.

'There are cup holders if you'd rather not hold the beverages, sir. Enjoy your vertical patio!' With that, she closed and latched the door, and the Ferris Wheel started to ascend.

Prince opened the blanket and put it over both of them. Sofia was entranced with the snow covered view as the wheel ascended, loosely holding Prince's hand under the blanket. Both of them enjoyed the warmth of the hot chocolate and the feel of shoulders touching. Prince reached for her hand, which she permitted. He was content to just be with her for the moment. When the wheel stopped at its highest level, Prince let go of her hand and pulled Sofia into his lap, relishing the feel of her in his arms again. She turned toward him in surprise. "What-" She never finished the question, as Prince's lips captured hers.

It wasn't the kiss she was expecting. No machismo, no rushing her into something forced. It was a cautious kiss, petal soft. She could feel the tip of his tongue on her bottom lip, but it wasn't moving. What got her more than the cautiousness was the yearning. It flooded her, filled her, called out to her. The sincerity in that simple kiss scared her to death, even as her arms crept around his neck, seemingly of their own volition.

She gently broke off the kiss, reached up and took off his shades. Meeting the yearning-filled gaze that matched the kiss, she whispered, 'What do you want?'

'Another chance.' Hearing his bone deep voice state his intentions so plainly thrilled and scared her at the same time. He leaned in for another kiss, only to find fingers on his lips. He snuck his tongue out and quickly licked them. It earned him the giggle he desired, breaking the tension between them. 'Let's go in and warm up,' he continued. Sticking one arm out and waving it, the wheel resumed, completing its revolution and stopping at ground level.

'Drink up, we're leaving these out here,' he said casually, as if the intense encounter in the sky had never happened. She watched, amazed, as he drained his mug in three gulps. The Prince she knew only drank Port, and then very rarely. Shrugging, she finished hers as well. By this point in the afternoon, she was totally confused. He helped her off his lap and put her glass on the opposite bench. Placing the blanket on the seat beside him revealed the arousal Sofia thought she could feel during their sensual interlude. He exited the passenger area first, then helped her out, tucking her arm next to him.

Rather than entering the dining room, he peeled off several one hundred dollar bills from a roll in his coat pocket and handed them to the hostess. 'We won't take up any more of your time,' he said. 'Thanks so much!' With that, he opened the door and whisked Sofia back toward the car.

Obviously nothing has changed. He's following a plan he's worked out, but making things feel spontaneous enough to keep me off-kilter. She turned toward him and smiled, glad she had enough of a history with him to know there was an outline of a plan in his head. Whether he followed it closely or not only he would know. He'd always been about the big picture, letting others work out the details.

'Why the smile?' he asked, quirking his eyebrows toward her even as he basked in her radiance. He was glad his memory hadn't embellished or diminished her beauty. The face she spent so little time enhancing with makeup took his breath away.

'I'm glad life hasn't changed you too much. Today is reminding me how much fun you can be.' As he opened her car door, he pulled her in close enough to whisper 'The fun is just beginning.'