Reality Bites

The warm breeze caressed Sofia's skin as she floated in the clear, calm water. The dark night enveloped her; she could barely tell where the air ended and the water began. Rather than fearing the darkness, she felt completely secure. Prince's aura mingled perfectly with hers, his nearness was tangible. She could smell the fresh, salty air, coupled with his personal, intoxicating scent. The sound of a harp, expertly played, drifted to her ears. It got louder and louder, as if the harpist was getting nearer with every enchanting measure. The stars faded, and she began to see the faint glimmers of the sunrise. The gentle pull of the waves became a nudge to her shoulder.

'Babe, wake up. That's your alarm. It's nice, by the way. Haven't heard an alarm in years.'

The dream rushed away so swiftly Sofia felt dizzy, even as she stretched to silence the harp. Blinking several times, she realized Prince's face hovered over hers. He was dressed, which didn't make sense. They had made passionate love the night before; she knew that was why she had slept so hard. He gave her a quick peck on the lips. 'G'on, girl, get up! Today's the day you announce your retirement from public education.'

Up, dressed, and savoring a cup of coffee as she made a breakfast smoothie, she felt arms surround her, lips teasing the magical spot on her neck that made her knees weak. She leaned back, craving more of his touch.

'Would you like a smoothie? I can make another.'

'Nah, I'll just have some of yours.' Great, now I'll be hungry all day.

Putting two straws in the tall glass, she made her way to the banquette, sliding in gracefully. Prince slid next to her, effectively blocking her in. He took a few small sips, leaving most of the smoothie for her. Don't want her hungry today. He smiled, knowing that she was soon to be his, and his alone.

'What? Is there smoothie on my nose?' Sofia raised a hand, bringing it to his lips to kiss.

'No, you're just so incredibly beautiful,' he purred, setting Sofia's internal ocean leaking. Just a little. No, this can't happen right now. She squeezed her thighs together to maintain control. Prince, feeling her leg shift, tried and failed to stifle a somewhat lecherous smirk.

'I have to leave pretty soon in order to get there on time,' Sofia mentioned, then loudly slurped the remains of her smoothie from the bottom of the heavy glass tumbler.

'That-that sounds disgusting!' Prince chuckled, looking on in mock horror. 'Remind me never to get you a milkshake when we're out!' Sofia smiled proudly. 'Thanks for the compliment. I happen to know times when that skill comes in very handy.'

Prince looked wide eyed and innocent, an expression telling Sofia she was about to be played. He crinkled his brow for further effect. 'What are you talking about?'

Sofia smacked him in the upper arm just as Kirk came in, looking frazzled. 'Hey y'all. Sorry to interrupt, but we should leave soon if we're going to get there on time. P, is there any errand I can run while I'm out?'

'I want you to stay at the school with Sofia until she's ready to leave. I've got a funny feeling about this, and I'm takin' no chances.'

'What feeling, babe?'

'Nothin' to worry about, just my usual paranoia,' he replied, his eyes proving his casual tone of voice was a sham. 'I don't want anything happenin' to you, ever. Not on my watch.'

She gave him a kiss in response. 'I'll be fine. It's just an elementary school!'

He smirked. 'I've heard Kindergartners are fierce. Just sayin'!' he exclaimed, ducking as he watched her hand come back up for another smack.