Time to fly

‘Hentley?’ Prince called to the empty dining room.

‘Yes, Sir?’ Hentley strode into the room in his typically elegant way, smiling and looking quizzical at the same time.

‘Could you get us packed, please? We’re going to need to leave earlier than we’d planned.’

‘I must confess, Sir, I overheard you as I was walking to the stairs to make the beds. It's already done. Would you like me to contact the flight crew and airport, Sir?’ Hentley kept smiling, but the quizzical look was gone.

‘Yes, please. I need to make some phone calls and spend some time with my fiancee before we leave. I'd say three hours from now would be a good time to leave.’

‘Very good, Sir.’ Hentley turned away to use the phone.

Prince tucked a strand of Sofia’s hair behind her ear, caressing her jaw as he pulled his hand away. ‘I’ve got a couple of phone calls to make, love. Can you entertain yourself for about 30 minutes? Then I’d like to sit and watch the waves a little until it’s time to go. Think about some wedding plans while you wait for me, my love.’ After giving her one of his signature, mind-numbing kisses, he stood and walked away with his typical swagger, looking just a little taller than he had the day before.

Sofia walked out to the patio, sat down on the double chaise, and tried very hard to process all that happened over breakfast. He must not have been kidding, since he wanted her to think about wedding plans, so that meant she was-actually-Engaged To Prince!

My first love. To be perfectly honest, my only love. All those years I tried to forget him, to move on; it never worked. I’m not sure how he was able to move on to other women, but he came back to me, and did everything in his power to win me back. And it worked. Oh, how it worked.

She shook her head in wonder at the situation. He was a superstar when she met him, now he was an icon. A Star’s star. An absolute genius, with all the quirks that accompany a genius. She was willing to learn them all, and learn how to live with them all. She was ready to make him, their relationship, marriage, family-will he want a family? Oh, I hope so-her life’s work.

Far more than 30 minutes passed. Sofia went from planning, to staring straight ahead at nothing, to falling into a half asleep, half awake state. Almost dozing in the caress of the warm tropical breeze, she could sense him coming up behind her. ‘How were your phone calls?’ she asked, before she could actually see him.

‘Guess my ninja skills need some work.’ Prince settled himself next to her, putting an arm around her shoulders, skillfully ignoring her question. He took a quiet breath, inhaling her scent, which called to him even as they sat there. He loved that it was intoxicating and familiar at the same time. He loved that about her, and so many other things. He mostly loved the fact that it was settled, she had agreed to be his. He placed a small, tender kiss against her temple.

‘That’s not it. I can just feel your energy when you’re around.’ Sofia replied, her thumb tracing circles on top of the hand holding hers. Her tiny smile telegraphed more than she knew.

‘So, do you have the wedding planned? Don’t girls get their entire weddings planned by  age 12?’

‘I planned an entire wedding in my head. Once.’ Sofia said softly, looking out at the ocean. ‘It didn’t work out, and I hadn’t really thought about it since. So, at this point, I know what I don’t want more than what I do.’

Prince smiled. What fool blew it with Sofia? It never occurred to him that she was referring to the end of their relationship all those years ago.