New Normal?

Sofia woke to the delicious aroma of vegetables sautéing in butter. She realized someone had put her afghan over her, and carefully tucked her in, placing a sofa pillow under her head...confused, she started trying to remember why she was on the sofa. Suddenly, she remembered. Prince was back in her life.

Did she want him back in her life? The blush that she could feel covering her from head to toe told her she still desired him, but that had never been the issue. He had been a completely self-centered superstar when she knew him, with all the fascinating and irritating qualities that defined him as such. With maturity, she had realized that, despite his musical genius, he wasn't very good at relationships. He had just admitted that much. Grand gestures were his stock in trade, but the daily actions that would have meant commitment to her weren't there when they were together. Thinking of the afghan and pillow showed more growth than she would have given him credit for based on her previous experience with him.

Curious, she sleepily got up from the sofa and padded toward the kitchen, realizing he'd removed her shoes, as well. Three thoughtful actions, simple as they were, still came as a surprise. The little flame in her heart got a little brighter with each realization. Hold on, little flame; I'm not ready to commit yet, she thought.

She followed her nose into the kitchen. Prince was at the counter next to the stove, vigorously stirring spices into what looked like a bowl of eggs. The veggies were off the heat, still steaming in their skillet, while another skillet had butter sitting in it, awaiting a flame to begin the cooking process anew.

'There's Sleeping Beauty! I forgot how much I enjoy watching you sleep. You are so beautiful, Sofia.' Prince put down his whisk, and pulled Sofia into one of the kisses she thought she remembered; the extremely sensual kiss that left her brain hazy. Memory was no match for the intensity of this kiss. She was thankful Prince had his arms around her; she could feel her knees buckling.

'Oh, lawd, woman, I forgot what you do to me,' Prince said in a silly voice, trying to keep his body under control. He wanted her so badly, but hearing what he put her through left him truly sad. He had been such a jerk in the '90's, with a seething anger that simmered just under the surface all the time. It had influenced every choice he made. He was thankful that season of his life was over, but so very sad his anger and temper had ruined things for him and Sofia. Jehovah, show me what I need to do to help her trust me again, he thought.

'Ready to eat? I only cook one thing, but I'm pretty good at it now,' he said, turning back to the stove. As the butter began to melt in the skillet, he gave the eggs a final whisk. Sofia looked on in surprise as he created a very professional looking omelet, then plated it.

'I saw some fruit in the fridge. Would you like fruit, or is the omelet enough?' he asked, while dividing the omelet onto two plates, and placing them on the elevated counter above the stove top.

'That will be nice. I'll get some,' she replied.

'Nope. My turn to take care of you. I made a pot of Earl Grey tea. I remembered it was one of your favorites,' he said, smiling, as he ushered her to a barstool, pouring her a cup of tea. He placed a napkin in her lap, bowed, and said in a fake English accent, 'Dinner is served, madam.'

Sofia giggled. It had been a long time since she'd heard his butler voice. She watched him get a bowl of fruit that he'd already cut up from the fridge, and carry it over as well. Sitting beside her, he asked, 'Mind if I bless the food?' 

'Go right ahead,' she replied, and bowed her head. She was glad her eyes were closed, because holding his hand sent all sorts of electrical impulses running through her.

At the end of the prayer, he said, 'Eat fast! Cold omelets are terrible.'

'I'm surprised you remembered the Earl Grey tea,' Sofia remarked, taking a sip of the fragrant brew.