Cherish and deeply respect

'Here, Sofia, take a look in the mirror. You look like a princess!' Auntie Vi smiled from ear to ear, looking at Kim's handiwork.

'That was easy, Aunt Vi-I had lots to work with here!' Kim replied, turning to Jen. 'It's your turn now, lady fair. You ready for the diva experience?'

Jen giggled, which seemed incongruous coming from someone who had greying hair. 'Yes, this takes an item off my bucket list. I've admired your work for years.'

'Thank you ma'am. Let's get started.'

All four women were gathered in the Presidential suite at the Millenium hotel in downtown Minneapolis. When questioned about his choice, Prince's only reply was a raised eyebrow and a cryptic 'You'll see.' He was ensconced in the suite next door, but had made sure a champagne buffet was made available for the ladies, giving Kim the warning, 'I know how you get on champagne, Kim. I want to see my bride, not some hair show refugee coming down the aisle!'

'Wouldn't you like some champagne, Sofia? I'm sure Prince picked it out for you.' Jen waved the bottle in the air with a happy smile. The almost full bottle of Cristal clinked slightly as she placed it back in the wine chiller.

The sumptuous suite was the 'girls' staging area for the wedding, filled with dresses, shoes, and accessories. Sofia, still leery after her 'food poisoning', wasn't taking any chances. 'I don't want to be at all impaired during the ceremony,' she responded with a big smile. 'Most people say it all goes by in a blur, anyway.'

'Most people are right,' Aunt Vi interjected, holding out her flute for a refill, which Jen happily obliged. She had been a happy and excited maid of honor ever since the party. Jen had not been informed about Sofia's poisoning. The police investigator felt it was best to continue on as if nothing had happened. Prince had his regular bodyguards installed outside the door with keys, ready to intervene if anything should go awry.

'I should get my gown out and enjoy looking at it while y'all get ready,' Sofia said, excited at the prospect of seeing the gorgeous creation. With a wide boat neck, long sleeves, princess seams and small train, it was modest and alluring at the same time. She had fantasized about the design for years, and Prince's team was able to create it in heavyweight duchesse satin. 'Practice your walk!' Aunt Vi called out as Sofia rose from the oyster colored, deep cushioned sofa. She immediately slowed down. Prince hadn't felt a rehearsal was necessary, which added to his typical mysterious aura.

'I was surprised you wanted something so plain,' Jen mentioned, as Sofia crossed the extremely large living room toward the bedroom where her dress was ensconced, hanging from a special elevated dress rack, so the train didn't touch the floor. There was a padded footstool in the room so Sofia could reach the zipper of the garment bag. Turning back toward Jen, she smiled. 'That is the part you haven't seen yet. I'm wearing the veil my great grandmother brought with her from Greece as part of her dowry chest. It's got a handmade lace edging that is at least two inches deep in the back. It's exquisite, and the perfect 'something old'.' Opening the double doors to the adjoining room, she walked around the corner toward the garment bag. The next thing the other women heard was a blood curdling scream.

Kim got to the door first, and yelled, 'Get security!' Sofia was held from behind by a man with crazed eyes, a box cutter pointed at her throat. She was wide eyed in shock. 'Jim, what are you doing?' she asked in the calmest tone she could muster.

'Sofia, you know the only person you're supposed to marry is me,' replied her coworker, Jim. The PE coach at her school, he'd been working even harder than Walter to convince Sofia to date him. His general demeanor with children was fine, if a little abrupt, but Sofia's gut instinct was that something was off. He openly stared at her during lunch and any meeting they attended together. Whenever he was asked why, his reply was always non-committal, alluding to the fact that he was so deep in thought he hadn't realized where he was looking. She thought it strange that he hadn't spoken to her at the party at Jen's house the week before, but was also relieved that she wouldn't have to have a 'close encounter'. Now the encounter was verging on deadly. He turned both of them toward the dress rack, revealing a dress that had been sliced right down the center, rendering it unwearable. Sofia's gasp resulted in a tightening of his arm.