The Beautiful Experience

The next day, Sofia came home in tears. ‘What’s wrong, babe?’ Prince asked, pulling her into a hug.

‘They won’t accept my resignation! My principal submitted it to HR, and came back saying I had to fulfill my contract or they would sue me, and work to have my teaching certificate revoked. They really played hardball.’

‘No big deal, babe. You won’t need a teaching certificate living in my world. I can hire a lawyer to fight the lawsuit. Don’t you have a union membership?’

‘Yes, and I called them. They said they don’t help teachers trying to leave the profession, just the ones who want to stay in. I’m scared.’

‘Don’t be scared, mama. The Max is in control.’ Prince’s quoting a scene from the show while wrapping his arms around her made Sofia smile a little.

Sofia went to work the following Monday, and her principal pulled her aside. ‘Sofia, what brought this resignation request on? I thought you were happy here.’

‘I enjoy my job, Ms. Watts, but my schedule doesn’t really work with my boyfriend’s lifestyle.’

‘Who is your boyfriend, that you’re willing to turn your life upside down, put your career in jeopardy? You’re a very good teacher, Sofia. I don’t say that to everyone, believe me.’

‘My boyfriend is Prince. I was on tour with him before the school year started. I will continue performing with him as a backup singer and sometime keyboardist.’

‘Well, that is a different kettle of fish, but I’ll say to you what I’ve said a million times before to young women. Don’t compromise your career for a boyfriend. A fiance, maybe, a husband, probably, but a boyfriend, nope. Boyfriends come and go. Only you and Prince know where your relationship is going.’

‘Thanks for your advice, Ms. Watts. I’ll certainly keep that in mind.’

When she got home that evening, Prince was waiting for her. ‘I’m pissed to have to tell you this. I spoke with my lawyer today, and he said you really should finish the school year. It wasn’t what I wanted to hear.’

‘Could I talk to the lawyer tomorrow after school, get a feel for his reasoning?’ Sofia decided sharing what the principal told her wasn’t necessary at that point. ‘I had really made up my mind to just walk out of my contract and let the chips fall where they may.’

‘He said all the same things HR told you, but he also said there was no way he could win a suit brought against you since you signed the contract. They could ask for the rest of your salary, and the salary of your replacement, and get it plus court costs. It’s only one more semester, five more months. Don’t you have two weeks between semesters? Let’s take one of them and go away to a beach. Think of it as a consolation prize.’

‘Okay, I’ll do it. I don’t mind the work, but I want to be with you, babe. This relationship is my highest priority.’

They had a blissful week in Hawaii, and Prince was a man of his word. He focused entirely on Sofia, catering to her every whim. He could tell she was exhausted and depressed after a long semester and disappointing news. She blossomed under his attention, turning back into the woman he had fallen in love with. He knew he was asking a lot, encouraging her to work through one more semester.

It was new for him to be the supportive one in a relationship, and part of him enjoyed spoiling his woman. He had a new appreciation for everything Sofia had done since they had fallen for each other. She never complained, at least not until she found out she had to finish the school year.

The vacation was over, and the new semester began. Sofia’s principal added responsibilities to her job description, requiring her to come in earlier and stay later for trainings. She found herself spending less time with Prince as a result. To his credit, he made sure to be available for her every evening, but she had to go to sleep super early to make it all work. He was left on his own during his most creative hours, without his soulmate around. It wasn’t long before he started feeling lonely.