18- The White Room

Katie and Takashi were in the white room their whole lives. Each faced away from each other, but she would look over her shoulders at him a few times. It was always like that. She'd come to think of that white room as her boundaries. She was to never cross the room to him. She was never meant to look out the window he looked out of in that room. She had her side and he had his. She knew one day, someone would stand by his side at that window, and it wouldn't be her.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a loud sound blasting through the castle and Pidge turned to her. "Lotor is attacking. You and your friends will have to stay here while me and the others pilot Voltron," she said and left Katie in a rush. Katie followed her outside the room where the others also panicked, not knowing what to do. 

"Katie!" Takashi called as he rushed to her side, "what did this world's you say?" He looked at her with worry in his eyes. They all had the same expression. 

She swallowed her nerves and told them what she knew of this situation, "Pidge said that Lotor is attacking and that they need to pilot Voltron." Everyone froze after hearing the name. It wasn't a lovely name that people would smile at hearing. Instead, it was a name that would strike sadness and grief into the hearts of the victims hearing it.

Takashi only looked at the walls in thought. Lotor was to be the name of Takashi's younger brother. Katie gave his arm a squeeze, knowing what he felt inside. Zarkon had two wives- Minerva, and Keith's mother. Before he had met Minerva, Zarkon had an affair with a maid, who was forced to become his wife after she learned of Takashi inside of her. After Zarkon met Minerva, the real love of his life at the time, he poisoned Takashi's mother. The story everyone else knows is a different one.

Only Katie and Trigel knows of this story because Trigel was the only witness. 

 Before to long, she spotted Coran walking towards them. He pulled at his mustache and called out to them, "follow me." They obeyed and went after the man.

He lead them to a room with weird machinery, or 'technology' as Pidge had put it.  He turned the them and said, "wait here with me while I and the others take care of the crisis. It will be over in a jiffy so no worries!" Takashi nodded and walked to the large wall-sized window revealing the outside to them. Stars stretched above since night had fallen on the planet. It hadn't been too long until five lion-like machines slinked out into the dark.

"They look like our lions, but machines!" Katie cried as she slammed her body against the glass, palms flat, as if it would allow her to see more. Takashi chuckled at her childish actions towards technology. Shiro walked into the room behind them just in time to here the girl's words.

"Your lions? What do you mean 'but machines?" he asked, curiosity showing in his raised brow. Katie turned to him, sparkles in her eyes.

"Well you see, in our universe we have these five lions. With one scratch they can transfer their abilities to humans!" she said, loving the idea. She didn't like it happening to her though. She had always admired the very thought of magic, but when a godforsaken lion nearly kills you to transfer a curse, one tends to not want to be involved.

"Interesting... Why don't you guys explain more while we wait for the others to finish?" Shiro offered as he stood between Takashi and Katie, leaving Takashi a little upset.

"I wouldn't mind. I was just thinking of how silent it was without a person to talk to," Katie said, beaming at the man. Shiro gave a smile back. Takashi felt like punching this world's him.

"What are we? Roaches?" Lance called from where he sat with Keith and Matt. The three were cross-legged on the ground, forming a circle like little kids. In their hands were cards they used to play an Altean game known as 'Lion Hunt.' 

Katie laughed. "Sometimes I can't tell which is better: you three or a roach," she said, watching the three for a moment. When Allura came in and joined the three, beginning to crush them, Katie looked out the window again. "When I was young, I stumbled upon the first lion in a cave. That day I was given a mission to find the other lions and their Paladins," Katie told Shiro. He nodded and listened to her story of the lions. The only thing she had failed to mention was that the lions had already passed on their ability.

How lucky she was that she didn't.

-----

A little after the others returned, tired from the fight, it was time to figure out how to get back to their own reality. "I honestly don't want to see you go. I finally have someone who understands me and all my dorkiness! I don't want to go back to being the only one who knows the things I know!" Pidge told Katie as they worked together to find the answer.

"Well I didn't know them in the first place. Where I'm from, there is no technology," Katie responded, knowing that she would have to return and face Zarkon. "Though, I've only been here for a day. There shouldn't be a strong attachment. Now help me learn how to go home to everyone. If we can find the way back, we can leave by morning light."

Pidge nodded and returned to the project in front of her. A question popped into her mind that wouldn't leave her alone. "How... Did you get here? I know you were sucked into a portal that lead to this place, but what I don't understand is how and why," she asked her older twin from another universe. 

"Ah. You see, just like you, I lost my father and brother when I was younger. Ten to be exact. I went in a crazy search for them. Though, Zarkon sent me away-" Katie started but was cut off by Pidge.

"Zarkon? How is Zarkon tied into this story!?" the shorter girl asked abruptly, no longer sitting in her chair. Katie began to feel slightly afraid. Pidge's eyes were wild and her hair had fallen out of placement with that sudden jerk.

"Zarkon is Shiro's father... Did I fail to mention that?" Katie answered, slightly surprised by Pidge's expression of sickness and fear.

"Zarkon is what in your universe?" Pidge said, questioning everything. Katie didn't like this. Once again that white room appeared in her head. This time Takashi was farther away and Pidge was before her, latching onto her arms.

Well I'm going ahead and telling you guys this. I have plans for the ending of this book and your not going to like it.

-ThatOneServant out!