23- Blue To The Rescue!

(2nd chapter published today)

Blue looked at the people underneath her nose, her eyes fell on the wounded Katie. "Just as Emerald told us... Katie is crucially wounded. I have no clue how you've kept her alive this long," she calmly said as she took a step forward and crouched. Her nose hovered over Katie's wound.  No one questioned who Emerald was.

Takashi had a protective urge to pull Katie away from the lion, but fought it. Blue lift her head, gaving Takashi a glance and turned to Lance. "Come here, Lance. I'll need your help. We share a bond, now. Nothing can be done alone anymore," she told as she made room for the slim man to fit. Keith let go of his arm and Lance took the spot that had been just cleared. He began to follow Blue's instructions. He held his shaking hands above the wound and tried to summon his markings in his top limbs.

He felt something smoothly creep up his back and split in two. It continued to travel down his arms and enveloped his hands in a cool sensation. He opened his closed eyes to see water was floating right at his palm and fingertips. He smiled and laughed. "I did it! I'm doing it!" he cheered and almost lost the water bubble. He quickly regained it and felt Blue gently lay her head on his. 

"Now, I have something to ask of you, Shiro," Blue started, her eyes dark. Takashi looked at her and awaited the instructions. She took a deep breath before continuing. "My healing magic is revival while Emerald's is regular recovery magic. Meaning, Katie has to be dead before my magic could take effect."

Everyone's breath hitched. Blue was asking Takashi to kill the girl in his arms. She was asking him to kill the girl he loved. Would he be able to do it? Thoughts flooded his mind and he began to respond that he wouldn't until a weak hand grabs his arm. "Its the only way to save me, okay? Do as she says, alright?" Katie weakly said with a pained smile.

He found himself having a hard time telling her no, so he nodded and accepted the challenge. Blue nodded and resumed talking, "Shiro use your mist to smother her. Cut off her oxygen. It's the only way that wouldn't scar her other than experience." He had to smother her and listen to her whimpers.

He could do this, right? He had this under control. He totally had this under control. He conjured up mist and made it wrap around her face and chest. It squeezed at her chest and blocked all air from her mouth and nose. Takashi looked away with his eyes closed. If his mind wavered, the mist would dissipate.

Katie closed her eyes as her chest couldn't move and her throat burned. Her lungs screamed at her to take more breath and she refused to. A lump in her throat formed and her nose began to feel stiff. She doubted that many of these things were because she lacked the ability to breath, but were the mist's fault. Then it came, darkness. Her passing wasn't peaceful. Her lungs, throat, and wound were screaming at her and she had been in so much pain, but she didn't want Takashi to waver. She wanted him to do his job, so she resisted the urge to resist and struggle. She ignored the feeling she had got to claw at the mist and free herself.

Everyone were looking away as Katie went still in his arms. He had killed her. With a fallen look, he allowed the mist to leave her. No one looked at her face as Lance went to work. The water under his hands turned a blue-green and the paladin lowered it closer to Katie's wound. The water touched her and she went cold at the sudden touch.

They sat like that, holding their breaths as Lance held the water to her wound. It took several minutes, fifteen to be exact, until Blue said it would be okay to cease for now. She bent over and told Takashi to place Katie on her back. He listened and watched as she and Lance took her to another room. The two only stopped to say something to Allura. Keith wanted to follow the two, but wasn't allowed to. They all stood awkwardly for a moment.