The Hawk

"XJ! XJ!"

An animalistic growl ripped through XJ's gritted teeth as the Chinese girl's head snapped up from her plate of pizza in irritation.

She was sitting at her dinner table alone, as Harry, Uma and Gil were having another meeting in Uma's dorm. They had been having more and more meetings recently and XJ had half a mind to eavesdrop, but she had better things to do, and she trusted the three pirates.

XJ's eyes narrowed as she turned to the direction of the enthusiastic voice, ready to snap at whoever it was to leave her alone. She had succeeded at getting into all of the teachers' at Auradon Prep's good books, except for Mr. Deley, whom she had taken upon herself to annoy as much as possible. However, pretending to be good for a whole day was utterly exhausting, and XJ's self-control was slowly dipping.

"WH - oh," XJ stopped in the middle of biting someone's face off when she realized that it was Chad who had been calling her, Audrey beside him.

XJ took a deep breath. Half the cafeteria was staring at her because of the short outburst. "Hello Chad and Audrey. I see you two got back together."

Chad smiled flashily at XJ as Audrey made googly eyes at her boyfriend. "Yeah, I realized that it was a mistake to leave him. He can change and he definitely proved it today."

"What happened today?" XJ asked, feigning ignorance.

Audrey rolled her eyes, "Come on XJ, I think we all know that you know exactly what happened."

XJ's heart stopped and Chad's eyes widened. "What?" XJ asked with eyes the size of dinner plates.

Audrey giggled, "XJ, I know that you helped Chad with setting up the date. Chad told me by accident during the picnic."

"Charming!"

Chad blinked in confusion, "Did I?"

Audrey giggled again, which was getting more annoying by the second, "You did, silly." She turned back to XJ and smiled warmly, "Either way, thank you so much. When I first met you, I didn't show it, but I hated you. I thought that if I played nice and you acted like all villain kids do, then we would automatically drift apart. But you showed me that you're not like other villain kids. Thank you, really."

XJ managed a smile, it was a tired smile, but it was a smile nonetheless. "You're welcome Audrey. I didn't have to do much; Chad did most of the work."

Audrey smiled, "You're a wonderful person, XJ."

Chad nodded, "Thank you."

XJ sighed and maintained the smile, "You're welcome. Have a good night, guys."

"You too," Audrey and Chad said happily in unison before walking off, their arms hooked together.

XJ turned back to her food and decided that she wasn't hungry. She left the table and shouldered her bag before walking back to her dorm. The hallways of the girls' dormitories were deserted and quiet, as everybody was either at lunch or on dates with their partners. It was a Saturday, and everyone wanted to get as much out of the weekend as possible.

On the way back to her dorm, when XJ was looking forward to a hot soak in the beautiful marble bathtub that the school had provided her with, she suddenly heard particularly loud muffled voices. As she walked closer to her room, the louder and clearer the voices got, until she could hear them word for word.

"I can't do it!" A thick-accented voice shouted.

"You said that you were fine with it!" Ursula's daughter's familiar voice sounded through her own dorm door.