Conscience

CRUNCH!

The floor broke, cracks forming like spider webs. XJ's spear had struck concrete instead of flesh. It was stabbed with so much force, that half of it was buried underground.

Shan Yu opened an eye in surprise to see that he was still alive. "Wha - "

XJ knocked her father out with a swift kick to his head before he could finish his sentence.

She breathed in and out heavily, her eyes squeezed shut like she didn't want to face the fact that she hadn't done the one thing she had been looking forward to accomplishing her entire life when she had the opportunity.

Harry knew better than to talk, but he couldn't, even if he wanted to. He was stunned.

Another loud crunch made him jump. XJ had punched a hole straight through the wall next to her. Harry winced when he saw that her knuckles were flaring red and blood was beginning to trickle down her arm. XJ didn't seem to care. She was still facing the wall that she had damaged.

Suddenly, the main door to the hospital wing burst open, and in ran Fairy Godmother, her eyes wide and an expression on her face that was filled with panic. She was followed by Ben and Mal, along with Evie, Jay and Carlos.

"XJ? Harry?" Fairy Godmother sighed in relief when she saw the two villain kids. "Oh thank the Blue Fairy you're both alright!" Then she noticed XJ's fist, which she had withdrawn from the hole in the wall, her blood dripping down from her hand, which was clenched tight at her side. "Oh no, XJ, you're bleeding!"

XJ didn't turn her head or indicate that she had heard Fairy Godmother, but her hand glowed a slight gold. Her hand was healed immediately, but the blood that had dripped down onto the floor didn't vanish.

Fairy Godmother was about to say something, but her mouth closed when she saw Harry shake his head at her.

"Um," Ben pointed at Shan Yu, who was still knocked out cold on the ground. "Who's that?"

Mal's eyes suddenly widened. She stumbled back a few steps in shock.

Ben put a hand on her back to stabilize her. "Woah, are you alright Mal?"

"I remember who he is," Mal whispered. She ran forward and knelt next to Shan Yu. She looked up at XJ, but when she realized that she seemed to be stuck in her own little world, Mal turned to Harry. "How did he get here?"

Harry was about to answer, but Ben interrupted, "Wait, who is he?"

Mal looked up at the three of her friends from the Isle, who all recognized the Hun. Evie was paler than usual, Jay's eyes were wide, and Carlos looked like he wanted to turn and run.

Mal turned to Ben and Fairy Godmother, who both looked concerned. "This is XJ's father."

Fairy Godmother gasped, "Shan Yu? But I thought he was on the Isle!"

Mal shook her head, "Shan Yu disappeared from the Isle when XJ was seven. By then, he had taught her everything, enough to scare even my mom back then. Nobody knows where he went."

"Well, we know now," Jay said, using a toe to nudge the side of Shan Yu's head gently. "He's here on the floor."

"What happened?" Evie asked, looking at Harry.

Harry took a deep breath and relayed the story to the newcomers, all the while glancing at XJ every now and then. He'd be lying if he said that he knew how to comfort her. Even when they had been together, Harry had never been in a situation where XJ needed comforting.

XJ remained facing the wall with her eyes shut the entire time, not reacting to anything that was going on around her. When Harry had finished his report, Fairy Godmother spoke to XJ.