Transformations

Jane shuddered.

Harry asked, raising an eyebrow, "What is it?"

Jane smiled nervously, "It's nothing, it's just unsettling to see XJ look so...not angry."

Do people think that I'm permanently angry? I have other emotions too, as much as I hate to admit it.

"Not angry?"

Yes, 'not angry'. Work on your vocabulary, Jane.

"She doesn't look calm," Jane elaborated. "It's like she's still thinking and the gears in her head are still turning. It's like an actor trying to remember their lines while maintaining their act, but normally when she's thinking, she'd look more alive. It's like she's trying to hide the fact that she's thinking; does that make sense?"

Not at all, you wide-eyed, fairy-looking, clad-in-pastel-blue -

"I kind of get what you're saying, but she's not thinking." Harry said, cutting XJ off and trying not to laugh at her snide comments.

"I know, and that's what makes it unsettling. Does she look like this when she's asleep normally?"

Harry bit the inside of his cheek as he heard XJ sigh. Jane's surprisingly perceptive for someone who seems so bland.

Harry replied with a question, "How would I know?"

"I thought you two used to share a room. Surely you've seen her asleep, or does she not sleep, like a vampire?"

That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Harry snorted, "That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard."

Yes, steal my line, why don't you?

"So she sleeps?" Jane asked, her eyes wide, like she was surprised at the thought.

Obviously.

Harry sighed, "Yes, she sleeps. She looks about the same as she does now. I don't think her brain ever switches off."

It doesn't.

"Hmm," Jane hummed, looking deep in thought. Her eyes wandered to the nurses' door at the end of the room. "Do the nurses know that you're doing this?"

As if the idiots who run this place know much about anything.

Harry shook his head, buying time for him to form an answer, "No, they don't believe that this will work. Regardless, I'm willing to try anything."

I appreciate how well you can lie, Hook. XJ said approvingly. Keep this up and we'll catch whoever's trying to kill me in no time.

"You really love her, huh?"

Harry waited for another comment from XJ, but none came.

Harry sighed and nodded, "Yes, I do. Why else would I be doing this otherwise?"

Nice lie. XJ stated, but her voice was unsure. Harry decided that it was better for her to think that it was one rather than tell her the truth. He was lucky enough that XJ didn't have the power to read minds with her new found magic.

"That makes sense." Jane said, still staring at XJ.

She's staring at me, isn't she? XJ said suddenly.

"Yeah," Harry said to Jane, as well as in response to XJ's question.

Well thank Jafar's turban it isn't her.
Get her out of here. I don't think I've ever hated someone this much in my entire life.