Chapter 29

Throwback

I sat in my bed watching re-runs of sister sister. That was my show and I had a ridiculous crush on Tia's boyfriend Tyreek. He was everything I wanted in a boyfriend. He was cool, respectful, and down to earth. He even was Tia's personal cheerleader as she was his. It was 9:30 at night and I leaned over to turn off my lamp. I suddenly heard a knock at my window. I looked over to see Julian standing there. I rolled my eyes; I was being interrupted from my laziness. I hoped off the bed walking over to the window. I lifted the window up allowing him in. This was routine thing honestly, his parents were always arguing and with the combination of them arguing and his baby sister crying at night he could never get any sleep. He didn't say anything he just got in the bed with me. I handed him my box of cheezits offering them to him. He grabbed the whole box taking a handful.

"Jeez take them all then" I said looking in the box. "My bad" he said trying to hand them back. Julian was very insecure about his weight and I tried to watch what I say he already gets made fun of about it. I get called a twig all the time but its not as bad as the kids that pick on him.

"No its fine, I have another box" I said opening my draw. I smiled placing the box in the middle of the bed "What are they arguing about now? I asked. We were now in the 8th grade and understood more of what our parents hid.

"Who knows" he said. I suddenly heard my momma yelling. I slowly turned down the volume.

"You're a liar, you're always coming home late" she whined. My mom was an alcoholic and my father worked himself to death. I guess my father not being emotionally there for his wife made her turn towards the liquor. All I know was I was counting down the years when I go off to college and to catch a break from them. I turned the volume back up as we began laughing at the episode. "Lisa is stupid" he laughed.

"That dentist got her high as a kite" he yawned. "You tired? I asked.

"Yeah" he yawned. I quickly turned off the television snuggling in my bed. He got down at the end as I threw a pillow down.

"Night Jujubean"

"Night Honeybun, mind turning off that lava lamp though? He asked.

"I'm scared of the dark" I whined. "Honey were almost teenagers and you mean to tell me you're still scared of the dark? He asked.

"Its dark" I whined.

"Its supposed to be, what you think the boogeyman is gonna get you or something? He asked irritated.

"Yes anything can happen" I said. He sighed "I won't let anything happen to you" he said.

"Promise? I asked. "I promise" he said

"Okayyy" she said turning it off. "Thankyouu" he exaggerated. "Aye its still my room" she said pulling her covers.

"Pshh Honey quit playing" he said pulling them back.

End of flashback