it's all my fault

Tyler's POV

Now I'm really freaking out!

Where could she be? And Derrick wouldn't take my calls.

I had spent the entire night searching for Vanessa with the help of Alisha.

I even drove back home severally thinking she'd gone there.

I called Denise asking if she had any idea where Nessa was. Nothing!

Where is she?!

This is all my fault. If only I didn't leave her.

I would never forgive myself if anything happened to her.

Could it be her father? My heart started racing faster in my chest as fear gripped me.

What if he had escaped from jail and has gotten hold of Vanessa?
"God! I'll kill that son of a bitch if he dares to touch her " I said through gritted teeth.

It's all my fault.

I picked up my phone and for the umpteenth time, dialed Derrick's number.
"Hello " I heard his voice from the other end.

Geez! He finally picked.
"Derrick for God's sake, why the hell haven't you been picking up?" I yelled.

Without letting him speak, I continued.
"I can't find Vanessa anywhere man " voice filled with panic.
"I've looked all over for her, she isn't here " I ran my fingers through my hair hysterically.

"Hold up Tyler.. Vanessa is alright.. she's here with me"
Derrick said.

"What the fuck do you mean by she's there with you! " I yelled again feeling slightly relieved that she's safe at least.
"Calm down man " he tried to say but I hung up instead.

I dashed quickly into the hospital and located Alisha just as quickly.

"I need Derrick's address now! "
Anger seeping from every word.

***

Vanessa's POV.

It was past noon already. I was sitting in the living room with Derrick as he asked me for the umpteenth time to call Tyler.

Derrick had called in sick today because of me.
I had told him he could go to work and not worry about me but he insisted on staying home with "his favourite patient " as he liked referring to me as.

I finally agreed to make the call so Tyler would stop worrying over me.

I took hold of Derrick's cell phone and I was about dialing Tyler's number when I saw an incoming call..and it was from Tyler.

"oh shit "
I suddenly felt nervous and I handed the phone back to Derrick.

"He's called all night. I didn't know what to tell him " Derrick said gesturing for me to pick the call and talk to him.

"I can't Derrick " I said in a whisper as I recalled the reason I'm here in the first place.
I know he'd be beyond pissed off at me
"Just tell him I'm alright." I continued.

With that, he clicked the okay button and I just watched him remove the phone slightly from his ear when Tyler's voice came booming.

Shit! He was obviously pissed.

"Calm down man" was the last thing Derrick said just before the call immediately got disconnected.

We exchanged glances for a while.

"I'll make us lunch " Derrick finally said to break the silence.

And I just nodded.

Derrick was still rumbling about in the kitchen and I sat there in the counter watching him since he wouldn't let me help out.

He looked so casual cooking and stealing glances at my direction every now and then.

Each time he meets my gaze, he'd give me a smile which I couldn't help but mirror.

"You know.. You look a lot like my ex girlfriend " he said.

"Really? Where's she now ? "

"back in Africa... she's a doctor too"

"Ah..." I was gonna ask why they'd broken up but Derrick and I were startled when we heard a loud banging on the door.

Derrick rushed over to see who was at the door but somehow, I already knew who it was.

And my guess was right.

Immediately the door was flung open, we were greeted by an angry Tyler.

He was fuming with rage.

His eyes landed on me almost immediately.
And I could see the bags under his eyes.. he really didn't sleep a wink last night. I thought to myself.

"What the fuck is this all about running off without telling me Nessa? I was worried sick over you!" Tyler spoke as he made his way inside, walking past Derrick, His voice all but calm.

I stayed frozen in place returning his glare.

If only he knew how I felt at the moment.

He wouldn't be barking like a mad dog.

Derrick decided to intervene seeing how the tension between Tyler and I could be cut with a knife.

"Hey guys.. could you please Chi..." he was cut off by Tyler.

"Shut the hell up man! " Tyler raised his index finger at him but he still had his eyes piercing through me.

Even though he was giving me the murderous glare, I could also see confusion written all over his face.

"Get up. we're going home." He finally said with a much calmer tone.

I shifted on the stool I was sitting on.

"I'm not going home with you " I said without meeting his eyes.

"What the fuck! Nessa. What's all this attitude for? " and the yelling was back.

I winced at how loud he was.

He ran a hand through his hair. Frustration getting the better of him. I stole a glance over at Derrick's direction and he was just there staring at me.

"You want to stay here with him Vanessa ?" Tyler spat.

If he's calling me Vanessa now, then he must be really pissed.

"First, you shut me out in the hospital.. refusing to talk to me. I still don't know what that was all about and now this? What is wrong with you?! "
His voice kept getting higher and at this rate, Derrick's neighbours would be alarmed.

I saw Derrick clenching his jaw and his palms balled into fists.

"Fine! I'll go with you. If that'll get you to stop yelling. " I yelled back at him.

I got off the stool and walked right passed him onto the driveway and into his car not sparing a glance at either him or Derrick.

After a short while, he joined me in the car and without uttering any word to me, sped off.