17

*Danielle's POV*

I sit up in bed unable to sleep, today is the day I pop the big question. I know it will all turn out amazingly, I know Carter will say yes. I just want it to play out perfectly, and that's why I'm so anxious.

Carter rolls over in her sleep and starts reaching for me. "Dani?" She whispers.

"Right here baby." I say and pull her into my arms. She lays her head on my chest and hugs me tightly. I stroke her hair until she settles again. I continue thinking about every possible thing that could go wrong today. No sleep for the worried.

*

"Get up!" Carter yells pushing me with her feet. She has no idea I've only been sleeping for the last hour. I pick up a pillow and smack her across the head with it. "D! You said we had big plans today, get up!"

"We do, we have brunch reservations to start with at 11."

"It's 9:30."

"Exactly, let me sleep a little longer please."

"Okay." She says and cuddles close to me.

*

"Danielle it's seriously time to get up. You have fifteen minutes to get ready." Carter says, trying all she can to get me out of bed.

"I'm seriously so tired."

"Why? We went to bed pretty early."

"Because I couldn't sleep." I answer.

"Why not?"

"I'm just worried about things, it's okay don't worry about it." I finally get up from the bed.

"Now I'm worried, what's up?"

"Nothing baby, no worries." I smile and pull her into a hug.

"Okay... weird."

"It's nothing, I'll tell you later." I wink and squeeze her hand.

"As long as you're okay."

"I'm perfect baby girl, couldn't be happier." I look her in the eyes and kiss her softly. I don't want her figuring any of my big plans out, I need this to be a surprise.

"I believe you, now go get ready!" She smacks my butt as I walk away to find my clothes for the day.

*

"Venice is so pretty, can we stay forever?" Carter asks with her puppy dog eyes.

"I wish." I smile.

I watch her stare at her surroundings and sip on her mimosa. She's honestly the most beautiful girl I've ever laid eyes on and I can't get over it. I almost get down on one knee right then and there, because I can't wait to make her mine forever.

"Danielle?" Carter says waking me from my day dream.

"Yeah?"

"I love you so much." She smiles, "thank you so much for bringing me here."

"Of course my love, you deserve the world." I smile and take her hand bringing it to my lips. I softly kiss the finger I will soon put a ring on.

***

"What's left for the day?" Carter asks me after we danced down the street as we walked.

"We're going to get in one of those boats," I point to a small boat in the river. "And dinner." And a big surprise you aren't expecting. I smile at myself wondering what her reaction will be.

"What are you so happy about?"

"You, and Venice!"

"And too many mimosas." Carter laughs.

"No!" I laugh. She's right, but I'm enjoying myself.

"I like it, you're letting yourself have more fun." She smiles up at me and kisses my cheek.

***

We step into the small boat and I clutch the tiny box in my leather jacket pocket. I've hired someone to take pictures and everyone around us knows my plan. They all smile and wink at me when I look their direction. I'm so fucking nervous.

"This is soooo pretty." Carter looks around with wide eyes as the boat cruises slowly.

"You're sooooo much prettier." I say. I try so hard not to show how nervous I am. Luckily she is so intrigued by everything, I can get everything ready without her noticing.

We're getting closer to the restaurant we are eating at, and that's our destination. I know everyone is anxious and waiting for me to finally do it, but oh my god I've never been so nervous. 

"Hey Car? I need to ask you an important question." I say and move in front of her.

"What are you doing? You're going to tip the boat!" Carter says grabbing the edge of the boat. I lose it and start laughing harder than necessary.

"Carter." I say seriously breaking away from my laughter fit. I reach into my pocket and hold the tiny box in my hand.

"Danielle! Get away! What are you doing!?" She starts to freak out and now I can't stop laughing.

"Shhhhh sit down, let me finish." I push her softly back into her seat.

"Okay, okay. Oh my god I can't. What are you doing? Please tell me what you're doing. Okay I'm calm, I'm calm."

"Are you going to let me finish?" I ask her. She nods her head and bites her lip, God she knows that makes me weak.

"Carter, I've been wanting to this since the day I met you, and I know that sounds super cliche, but it's the truth. I fell in love with your fun loving personality on our first date. And every day you prove to me just how much you love me, and I try to do the same. I know my life is crazy, but you follow along and do all you can and more to help out. You're so dedicated and loyal, and I admire that so much. You're stubborn, but I respect that. And don't even get me started on how absolutely stunning you are. You are no doubt the most beautiful human being I have ever met inside and out. You make me the best person I can be, and I need you around for the rest of my life and longer. Carter, the love of my life, will you marry me?" I ask.

"Yes! Oh my god I'm crying!" She answers, wiping her tears as they fall. "Yes, a million times yes!" She sobs as I attempt to slip the ring on to her finger. "You really surprised me with this." She says barely being able to keep it together.

"That's what I was hoping for."

"I love you so much Danielle, I can't believe you just did that." She hugs me tightly and I hug her back even tighter.

We get off the boat and she immediately wraps her entire body around me and kisses me all over my face. "I love youuuuuu!" She squeals.

"I love you too princess." I smile.

"So when are we getting married?" She asks.

"Whenever you want." I laugh.

"Right now, right now?"

"Sadly no, I want my sisters there."

"We'll make it a big ass party! It will be the best day ever!" She smiles.

"I can't wait." I laugh. Oh how I love my fiancé.